Wow! NOS dash wood

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes ... but matching the wood and finish of the gauge cluster and door wood will be fun. but that's a pretty rare find.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the description: Maybe the last new one on earth, who knows?

That simple sentence stirs up such an urgency and optimism - what a wonderful auction!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Re: Finish...I know of one owned by an infrequent board member still in the wood crate, and his looks like the finish that you find that hasn't seen the light of day (like under the metal trim, under the speaker, etc..), a more bland, darker, almost mahogany color (yes I know its walnut). From the color of this one (a nice warm patinated look), it must have spent some time on a sunny shelf. Very obviously NOS, but I'm surprised at the color. Wish I could see it in person. Great reference on the cheesy foam location, tho, made some copies of those images...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe that cheesy foam is what retains water after a leak and starts the delamination process so commonly seen in the corners.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seeing the wood assembly from the back, it very much reminds me of other old wood/furniture pieces. For example, I have a collection of old tube radios from Germany. When you open the boxes, they look exactly like this dash.
20180309_140338.jpg 20180309_140407.jpg

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Way too expensive for a set especially since it is not complete. I've gotten 2 sets from Bella in Hungary for around $1,000 USD and they are the genuine French Walnut (what is original on our Coupes) that is a different hue than our US variety. My first set had a defective speaker piece and he promptly fixed the problem after I sent it to him. He got close on the second speaker piece finish but not a perfect match. I think that shows how tough it is to match woods and finishes from different sets. If anyone is interested in a complete set, it is my opinion, that you can't go wrong with Bella, the quality of his work and how he stands behind it. The only caveat I had with the transaction was that he only accepted Western Union payment at the time and that was a PITA.

Regards, Jon

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
Way too expensive for a set especially since it is not complete. I've gotten 2 sets from Bella in Hungary for around $1,000 USD and they are the genuine French Walnut (what is original on our Coupes) that is a different hue than our US variety. My first set had a defective speaker piece and he promptly fixed the problem after I sent it to him. He got close on the second speaker piece finish but not a perfect match. I think that shows how tough it is to match woods and finishes from different sets. If anyone is interested in a complete set, it is my opinion, that you can't go wrong with Bella, the quality of his work and how he stands behind it. The only caveat I had with the transaction was that he only accepted Western Union payment at the time and that was a PITA.

Regards, Jon
Jon, do you know if Bella also makes the 4 timber door veneers?

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
GRKOALA,

The $1k I paid to Bella included all of the dash pieces (less the piece for non A/C Coupes), instrument binnacle, cleats as well as the 2 door pieces and the ones under the quarter windows. It has been a couple of years since I bought my last set and his prices may have changed. I did not supply a core set but I have heard that he has, with some orders, required that. Other than the Western Union issue I would give him a 10 out of 10 for quality and service.

Regards, Jon

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
you know i will my car is still at the tuner
but there may be some partials in my 4310316 begins
upload_2018-3-13_18-3-44.jpeg

add just tung oil so i can refresh anytime to new
3-jpg.21958

Last edited:

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Alan,
Is that a 1-piece floor carpet in there?
Thats what is in my 74, but I was not sure if it was correct.
The previous owner gave me a new brown snap in kit and I was not sure which one was right.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
74 i piece awesume yea what a bummer
thank you the wood really is quite easy to do when i get my car back ill post the right rear with my initials inlaid
yae a little glue and exacto