World Upholstery...good experience

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
If you need interior paint for your old car....this is it. I drove to Santa Paula last week and couldn't find a group of friendlier folks. These folks have all your interior spray paint for those hard to match colors. They will even send you samples of colors if you need to.
Just thought I let you guys know...not affiliated but I wish I was.
abe

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
If you need interior paint for your old car....this is it. I drove to Santa Paula last week and couldn't find a group of friendlier folks. These folks have all your interior spray paint for those hard to match colors. They will even send you samples of colors if you need to.
Just thought I let you guys know...not affiliated but I wish I was.
abe
Something I truly enjoy seeing here (and elsewhere) is an individual that will take the time to publicly express his or her excellent experience with a company's product or customer service...Perhaps these dilligent individuals will save us all from the mediocrity of banal copies and/or rude uninformed salespersons that can truly make one feel like the long journey to find and finally meet these 'incompetents' with inquiry was actually a complete waste of time...?

It's very easy (as Ayn Rand was often heard to muse) to whine and complain...the true test of an individual is how loudly he proclaims complete satisfaction (with his own assessment) of another's character and that 'proclaimed' person's competent mastery of his chosen subject or occupation.

Bravo, Abe!

Last edited:

Bertocchi

Reaction score
The shop where i was most recently employed used a Company called GAHH. I had used World while restoring a 190 SL and thought they did a good job. My boss insisted that GAHH was better and they did supply us with some very nice pieces.
The pricing, according to their respective websites, is quite different. I question if there is enough difference to justify the difference in price?
Has anyone else had dealings with both companies?
(The SL resto was 10 years ago)

David

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments as well. I need to eventually replace the original seats in my '74 and had seen their website before but websites are a dime a dozen.

Cad

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Upholstery

Since we are on the topic of upholstery, I will relate my story. Both World and Gahh have good reputations, and are solid bets, especially for carpet kits. However, there is a fellow locally here in Vancouver, by the name of Al Larson who is listed in our links as 'Seams Perfect'. He has done some carpet kits for e9's, and came across as knowledgeable. I am completely redoing the interior. He left me high and dry, with a 1/2 completed, 1/2 assed, shoddy job with a lot of missing parts.

I will relate the whole story one day, but take my advice, if anyone is considering carpet kits or anything else from him, call me first.

The good part of this story; I tracked down the supplier of the leather and vinyl we were using. It came from a supplier here in Vancouver called Heritage Upholstery and Trim. They specialize in high end interior restorations for Mercedes, Porsche, and the British cars. They have their own production facility in the UK, and supply a lot of the materials for World and Gahh. Although they had not done any BMW's, Tony Hazel, the owner and Duncan and Bart who do the sales, were familiar with E9's. They had experience with Larson and were sympathetic. They supplied me with enough of the leather and vinyl we needed to finish the job. They also supplied me with a wool headliner, and got a hold of a carpet kit and supplied an Wilton wool kit, based on the pattern. (The headliner and carpet are a step up from the original perforated vinyl and abrasive wool loop). Currently they are trimming the rear console, which Larson never returned, (thanks Tom Yellow Bullet for the replacement). If any of you are looking for carpet kits, or upholstery definitely look them up. (link below)

Russ Jenvey, who is local and does mostly Hot Rods and Corvettes, installed the headliner and the interior panels, with the carpet to go in shortly. Also a great guy and a craftsman.

One day I will post pics.

As J.Rannmann says, and I am paraphrasing, we should always be giving props to the suppliers who help us out and deserve our business.

Link:http://www.heritagetrim.com/
Graham
Vancouver.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
...Al Larson who is listed in our links as 'Seams Perfect'. He has done some carpet kits for e9's, and came across as knowledgeable. I am completely redoing the interior. He left me high and dry, with a 1/2 completed, 1/2 assed, shoddy job with a lot of missing parts.

...Heritage Upholstery and Trim. They specialize in high end interior restorations for Mercedes, Porsche, and the British cars.

Thanks for the info. The Links section has been updated.

Dan

steve in reno

Reaction score
I am very dismayed by the problems associated with "seams perfect/Al Larson".
I have referred others to him in the past and have purchased his mats for my own coupe.
I bought the inexpensive set and was happy with the quality and product.

Things change and so do peoples work habits and professionalism.

Glad you were able to have work completed by others to your satisfaction.

Live and learn!

steve

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Al Larson

If you ordered something from Seams Perfect and it was actually delivered, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Al

I bought my caprpet kit from Al and it is beautiful! He did a lot of work on 2002s and I know mine was the first kit he made for an E9. It did take him a long time to finish it but he was making the templates as he went. I know he has sence gone out of business which is a shame and also a shame that someone was burned in the process.

shanon

Reaction score
Al (Seams Perfect) did my E9 rear seat delete kit, (a one-off perhaps now?), it took a while but am very happy with it. I bet he did it when he did BonitaCS's project because he had a gutted E9 at the shop then to work from.

I guess I'm a lucky one....

-shanon

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Al Larsen, even if his work is very nice, is not worth the time or hassle. You will not get what you paid for when it was promised. You will get stories and more stories. There, I've gone and done it- I have broken the good karma of the board. My apologies, but the folks here deserve better.

Based on personal experience. If that's not enough, go to 2002faq.com and do a search.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Has anyone bought or seen the brown leather seats from World upholstery?

They do not have pics of them (I called and asked) and the sample looks dark?
Maybe too dark for me as I have a Sienabraun car and would like to get some lighter beigish leather for it.

/J

Rob Hannafin

Reaction score
World Carpet

About ten years ago I could not find carpet for my 1969 2000. I removed all 19 pcs and sent them in a box to World. They inturn cut and sewed me a perfect set. I installed it myself, and it was a perfect fit.