With a new grill badge.... have a question...

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey all-
I was installing the new E9-Driven badge this evening and got to the point of installing it and... Ummm... The grill... Not too clean...

And - since I had to remove it to install the badge... Might as well spiff it up a bit since I can get to all the surfaces easy. I'll remove the other side (and center) too just to make it a match.

Question - what would you recommend to shine up the black (plastic) body of the grill? I don't want to use a generic rubber/vinyl 'protectant' or such not knowing what it will do with the 40 year old material the grill is made out of.

I figure I can 'clean' it with soap and water well enough - I am looking for something I can use to make it 'black' and keep it such. At least try to keep it looking as good that being out on the road will let it be.

The grill on the 2002 is painted metal. Cheesy from a construction standpoint - but it seems more durable than the E9 (E3 too I presume). So - Having another old BMW doesn't help me here.

Any experiences in what has worked well for you would be appreciated-

Thanks

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kevin,

I have used Turtle Wax Chrome polish. It adds luster and makes it blacker - reducing that oxidized look. I have no idea what the long term implications might be.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I have also used Metal Master regular metal polish with success. It comes as an impregnated rope like material, where you tear off pieces as needed.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I have also used Metal Master regular metal polish with success. It comes as an impregnated rope like material, where you tear off pieces as needed.

Let me be sure I understand. You are using metal polish on the black parts of the front grill?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, on the black plastic part. You can test out any products on the back side of the grill.

mhoffman

Reaction score
oxidized plastic

I would recommend a rubbing compound to removed the "oxidized" plastic- once you get it smooth again with a shine, then wax it. Corners will be a challenge. A Dremel tool with a small buffing wheel will work- just go easy on the pressure or you will burn (think melt) the plastic, or worse, snag the wheel and break one of the plastic bars. The aluminum is anodized, which is a thin layer- if you polish too much on that part, you will wear through the layer and expose the base aluminum- not good unless, you want to remove all of it and then keep it polished forever...

Or, lightly sand and paint over the black with gloss laquer.