Wiring diagram - late '73 - '75 e9's

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have searched several times for a wiring diagram of our e9's that were built late in '73 through '75 (I have a '74). There are quite a few changes made to these cars, but one specific and easy to spot one is the wiring/mountings for the window motors. The late cars used 2 wire connections to the motors, and had mounts identical to the rear motors in the later e28 cars. I replaced all four of my motors with motors from those cars, with a dramatic difference in 'window speed'.

So, does anyone who reads this forum know of the existence of an accurate wiring diagram for a late model e9???? The last one that is in my blue books is labeled 12/71. It shows 3 wires to all four window motors (as does the one that Alan so generously sent me today). If it is expanded to that size (~12" X 18"), a 10X magnifying glass is not needed to read it!! - ha.

IF YOU KNOW OF ONE, is there any way we could get one expanded and laminated (like the Prospero's Garage Production ones)? IF so, I will gladly donate some $$ to getting one and helping make it available for all the other late model car owners who are wanting to maintain/restore their cars.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have PDF of the 2 pages from a BMW wiring diagram CD.

I can't send the legend as there does not seem to be a way to copy or print it.
Sorry.

Files are too big to post here so send me an email address and i will send them to you.

Gary

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have the two volume blue books they were updated through 1/76 and have the complete `74 model diagrams. I have them but it has been tough enlarging and pasting pieces together. Anyone with a `73 has to use the early diagram as well as the `74 to figure out their wiring which is frustrating. And I have the Prospero's diagrams and never use them.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have looked at the blue book's '73 and later diagram and there are several differences between it and my car. Easiest one to spot is that it does not show the 3 relays on the support above the battery plus one "hanging" one.

I also have the Prospero's garage one which is different but still not accurate.

As Chris mentioned, you have to look at several diagrams (including parts of the E3) to piece together what is going on.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just had FedEx/Kinkos scan the pre-74 and 74 diagrams, and then had them printed in 24x36 size. Scanning was $0.89 each, printing was $4.50 each, clarity is excellent on the 74, and OK on the pre-74. I am leaving this Thursday for a trip up the NorCal and Oregon coasts but if you click on my name and send me an e-mail, I will forward the pdf with a legend (please don't send a PM) and tell me which one you want. If you can wait I will send on July 25 or there abouts. Bo, check your relay wire colors, the answer is there.

Why we can upload a 1Gb photo and not a 1Mb pdf I don't understand, I was hoping this new format would fix that.

Edit: It appears that there is no longer an e-mail link in my Profile. Send an e-mail to [email protected] but wait unless it is needed quickly.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I too have the Prospero's that is listed on eBay. It IS helpful for some things, but it is really for an early model car with 3 wire window motors and nothing different anyplace than the blue book '71 diagram.

Chris - an email has been sent. THANK YOU for doing this for the later car owners.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lets see if pdf upload works...YES!

Attachments

• 74 Wiring Diagram 24x36.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 654
  • 74 Wiring Legend.jpg
    74 Wiring Legend.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 729

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is pre-74! Thank you Arun and Dan.

Attachments

• pre-74 USA Wiring Diagram 24x36.pdf
    949.1 KB · Views: 400
  • pre-74 USA Wiring Legend.jpg
    pre-74 USA Wiring Legend.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 653

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris et al,

I had mine blown up to 24 X 36 yesterday and laminated. It is very good/easy to read that way. YES - it does have the two wire window motors!!!

Unfortunately, it does not - as far as I can find - have the diagrams for the AC system and the electric sunroof. Not even a designation on the diagram or the legend sheet of the connections for this 'extra equipment'.

restart

Reaction score
image.jpg I think you were looking for 1974 so...may be veering wildly off topic but....
Electrical comfort equipment
I haven't found the legend for this yet....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A/C has its own diagram in the blue books, it has been posted here recently. I will find it in a day or two on my laptop, I am in NorCal at the moment.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

Yes, the AC diagram has been posted here, and I extracted that. Still haven't found anything regarding the sunroof for the late '73-75 cars.