windshield crack repair

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I removed a front and rear windshield from a Coupe at a local Wrecker. Thought I had it stored very carefully but noticed yesterday that the front glass has a 4 inch crack in it from the top left corner . (No idea how this happened) I see various services offering crack repair. Anyone have any experience with getting a crack repaired? This windshield is meant to be a spare so I suppose I could get it looked at if there comes a time I need it. I just don't want it to grow bigger.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
You can call the crack repair people, but with a 4" long crack, I suspect that the windshield is history. Even if they could somehow glue it, I doubt it would stand up to the rigors of installation.

The crack repair guys can fix stone chips - those star-shaped features that can lead to cracks. And it is prudent to reinforce those "wounds" with epoxy (or whatever they use), as it will prevent further cracking. Most likely your used windshield had one of these chips, and a change in temperature caused it to propagate into a 4" crack.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, any cracks on the windshield will only get progressively bigger and cannot be repaired. About 5 years ago, a stone or pebble hit my coupe's windshield on the highway, causing a 1/2" vertical crack. Within an hour later in hot weather, the crack had stretched completely to the top and bottom of windshield. Bought a new one from the dealer for about $500.

Giraffe

Reaction score
windsheild replacements

How hard is it to get a new windshield for an E9? Does the BMW dealer have the ability to order them still? What do they cost if they can get them?