Windshield chrome trim (stupid question alert)

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will the windshield stay in place with the chrome trim removed??

Is the trim an appearance feature or can I drive the car without it?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From what I have read if you try to remove the trim without the gasket at the same time you will destroy it, typically the gasket is cut out and the trim comes out with it.

If you do get the trim out and leave the gasket, it will still hold the glass in.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
The trim ALWAYS comes out and goes in with the gasket and the glass itself. Any other technique will destroy it, let alone that it is not possible to get it in place if the window is already in there.... Don't ask me how I know!

And by the way: the gasket will not sufficiently keep the rain out of the car if the trim isn't in place! That goes for the water used for cleaning the car as well ;-)

jmackro

Reaction score
From what I have read if you try to remove the trim without the gasket at the same time you will destroy it, typically the gasket is cut out and the trim comes out with it.

You don't need to cut the gasket in order to remove the trim. But you do need to remove the glass/gasket/trim as a unit. Once that assembly is out, you can remove the gasket/trim from the glass and work the trim out of the gasket.

DerSchwede said:
the gasket will not sufficiently keep the rain out of the car if the trim isn't in place!

I wouldn't dispute that. The trim does make the gasket more rigid. Leaving the trim groove empty is going to allow the gasket to "give" a little - probably enough to allow water to get through. I have heard of people stuffing black electrical wire into that groove to pad it out. 14 gauge or so ought to be about the size of the nub on the aluminum trim.

Last edited: