Windshield and back window

Tundra

Reaction score
I removed both the windshield and back window for restoration purposes. The rubber seals on both were brittle and the windshield was cracked by PO. Question: when reinstalling should the rubber seal be glued to the windows and then glued on the car itself? If so, what type of glue?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
No glue. The glass needs to be able to move a little in the seal to get it in properly.

Put the seals on the glass, then install the aluminum filler pieces, then install the whole assembly.

This is really a job for an experienced professional. The chances of installing a cracked windshield without damaging it further are very small.

Tundra

Reaction score
Thanks Bill. I should have ben clearer. I have a brand new windshield. I will not reinstall the cracked one. I was able however to remove it without it shattering. The back window will be the same one as it is good and I have an extra one just in case. If I understand correctly there is no glue whatsoever. Not even between the seals and the body of the car? I intend to use the "rope" method from inside the car to get the seals over the lip.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Winsdshield Replacement

Andre: if you are handy and patient, you can do the windshield installations yourself. It helps to have a faithful assistant, but I have done it myself, twice, with no problems. My car never sees moisture, so I did not use sealant anywhere.
Helps to have good, flexible gaskets. Definitely put the chrome strips in before replacing the glass. Use nylon string (slippery) and take your time placing the windshields on the car, getting them centered as best you can, and gently wiggle them all around the perimeter to get a good initial fit. Then get inside and carefully work the string, working a few inches on one side, then the other and so on until done. It'll take a couple of hours, so give yourself time. When done, have a good India Pale Ale. Good luck.
Bill 74 3.0CS

GGR

Reaction score
I wonder if the lubricant used to fit new tyres would help and reduce the chances of breaking the glass, or if it would leave some kind of moisture between the seal and the body that would favor rust?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Winsdshield Replacement

GGR:
In my experience no lubrication is needed. Using the string method to replace the windshields works very well. The danger comes from removing a windshield that's been in place for decades. That's the step that takes a lot of patience and no lube would help.