Window relay wiring diagram - '73 Euro Version

aguirola

Reaction score
Window relay wiring diagram - Need help! - '73 Euro Version

Could someone help me on the wiring location at each pair of relays for each window motor? I think I understand the principle that one relay is for 'up' and the other is 'down', the teminals (or colors) is what I am at a loss at.

I have the later motors, not the 'sardine can' type, and all I seem to find is references to this sort.

If it helps, it is a '73, Euro version, with the breakers.

I am thoroughly confused, and albeit my electrical knowledge is basic, I can follow directions if it is just 'plugging' terminals and where.
I have the relay plugs with the pigtails, or I can use individual connectors.
Your choice.:wink:

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards, Alberto

Last edited:

aguirola

Reaction score
I am surprised...not even one reply?

Someone that has undertaken this project, surely should know.

Thank you.

Regards, Alberto

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have never seen the 73 circuit with relays but I know the later motors have just two connections and you invert polarity of both terminals to go UP vs DOWN. One simple configuration is to connect both relay outputs in parallel knowing that only one of them will be activated. These relays would need to make two connections +12 and GND.
A fault in one of the relays (stuck) would result in fireworks as the 12V would be shorted to GND so I am not sure even the 1970s Germans would make it that way.

The preferred option would be to use a singe relay per window but this relay has two coils one for UP and one for DOWN. Could have 4 outputs or 2 outputs if they are already connected internally.

If you send a picture of the wires and relays we can figure it out by inspection.
Go do that with computer electronics!

That is my best guess, if the switches are wired to the relays just follow the "click sound" and you will find the relay.

aguirola

Reaction score
I have never seen the 73 circuit with relays but I know the later motors have just two connections and you invert polarity of both terminals to go UP vs DOWN. One simple configuration is to connect both relay outputs in parallel knowing that only one of them will be activated. These relays would need to make two connections +12 and GND.
A fault in one of the relays (stuck) would result in fireworks as the 12V would be shorted to GND so I am not sure even the 1970s Germans would make it that way.

The preferred option would be to use a singe relay per window but this relay has two coils one for UP and one for DOWN. Could have 4 outputs or 2 outputs if they are already connected internally.

If you send a picture of the wires and relays we can figure it out by inspection.
Go do that with computer electronics!

That is my best guess, if the switches are wired to the relays just follow the "click sound" and you will find the relay.

I tried running the windows directly from the battery, and guess what?
No change in speed.
Is the '73 a better system and possibly no need for relays?

Regards, Alberto

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think the late 73 motors are any faster than sardine cans. Door glass is heavy and besides the grease the window channel felt will also keep them slow.

aguirola

Reaction score
I don't think the late 73 motors are any faster than sardine cans. Door glass is heavy and besides the grease the window channel felt will also keep them slow.

Reassembled the doors with new backing material for the door vinyl, just used the old and very warped ones for templates, and now the windows are back to slow, very.

Is this a no solution issue?

Regards, Alberto

PS. Found this site and it appears customers are satisfied. Thoughts?
http://fastferrariwindows.com

Last edited: