While we have been talking a bit about Bring a Trailer recently, one of their auctions caught my eye.....

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not for what is was.... but for what is wasn't......

Sure - nice sign, and I bet a bunch of guys / gals would love to have that hanging in their garage or shop, but that's not the point.

This item has NOTHING to do with automotive memorabilia or or anything related in any regards to auto history or what Bring a Trailer is all about - or maybe I missed the memo...

BaT really has dropped off the rails.

In the auction I have here, there is discussion about this as well... besides the sign at hand.

Too bad.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barrett-Jackson auctions sell similar items (fully restored or NOS) at their car auctions. BaT must be trying to branch out.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think BaT may be getting exactly what they want from this listing. Controversy, lots of comments, every car forum talking about BaT, lots of new BaT members drawn to the site to check out "the sign listing" and sticking around for the cars. I really don't think there will be anybody that actually resigns their BaT membership because of the sign.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I visit my local BMW dealer, as infrequently as possible, there is a huge room full of caps, tee/Polo shirts, jackets, mugs, you name it, it's for sale. What do most of these over priced items have to to do with automobiles other than turning owners/wearers into walking advertisements for the "Brand."

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I visit my local BMW dealer, as infrequently as possible, there is a huge room full of caps, tee/Polo shirts, jackets, mugs, you name it, it's for sale. What do most of these over priced items have to to do with automobiles other than turning owners/wearers into walking advertisements for the "Brand."

I have zero outrage with the Coca Cola
auction but your example isn’t the best. Would @lip277 have brought it up if it was a BMW sign or Coca Cola was a car manufacturer?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think BaT may be getting exactly what they want from this listing. Controversy, lots of comments, every car forum talking about BaT, lots of new BaT members drawn to the site to check out "the sign listing" and sticking around for the cars. I really don't think there will be anybody that actually resigns their BaT membership because of the sign.

There is also a massive population of garages that contain US classics from the 1950’s and 60’s along with period Americana junk on the wall.

Doesn’t everybody have this neighbor?
5E8EED7E-EE91-471C-86BE-1D835F30DAF0.jpeg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have zero outrage with the Coca Cola
auction but your example isn’t the best. Would @lip277 have brought it up if it was a BMW sign or Coca Cola was a car manufacturer?
No - And that's my point. A BMW sign (or anything in an automotive slant) is ok for me.

Outraged - No.
Shaking my head - yeah... And just another brick in the wall of the current state of things there... and how BaT is becoming diluted IMO.

You can go back to your regularly scheduled program. All I was doing was providing an example of how they are deviating from where they started from.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All I was doing was providing an example of how they are deviating from where they started from.

Not saying you were outraged, just that I’m not.

Here is an example of BaT keeping it real. Also another example of someone giving up due to TCO…

82F05ADB-0429-4809-BB34-84EB739E592C.jpeg

Last edited:

junkyardhero

Reaction score
Not saying you were outraged, just that I’m not.

Here is an example of BaT keeping it real. Also another example of someone giving up due to TCO…

View attachment 169688
woof. maybe that shoulda stayed a parts car...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Coca Cola sign does not bother me. Perhaps I associate the Coca Cola drink with positive things, like enjoying one after a soccer game as a student, or a symbol for the US, that many put down, and I am proud of.
The ones I would bid to the bitter end would be the Italian aluminum signs advertising rallies in the 70s, with stylized drawings of Alfas for example. A coffee place in San Francisco had a beautiful one, I could not talk them into selling it. I went there two months ago, new owners, the sign was gone. The old business did not survive the pandemic...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn it got away! Oh well. I sat in a Lusso being restored in VT at Sargent Metal Works - it was David Gooding's personal car - I had to see if I fit - I did. Want.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I parked next to a red example of that car at a local cars and classics. I was worried that some of my 1600 "patina" was going to jump over to his car and lessen the value. I'm surprised he didn't wave me off as I was backing in - ha ha.
View attachment 169757
Brave little toaster holding its own with my two favorite F-cars. The 3/4 rear view of the 330gtc is why I have an E9. Hate to call it prettier than my coupe, but it just is.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Brave little toaster holding its own with my two favorite F-cars. The 3/4 rear view of the 330gtc is why I have an E9. Hate to call it prettier than my coupe, but it just is.
Dave--The split rear bumper on the 330GTC looks a lot like the rear of my first new car--a 1969 Fiat 124 Spyder. I wonder how we could modify the E9 bumper to look like that?
Stephen--Parking next to a Lusso would be such a privilege! Did you say that you noticed his car doesn't have backup lights? What an amazing car!!!