which strut inserts?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
My fronts are completely blown. 1973 3.0bav

I have read that other models fit, the information I've found was less-than-reliable.
it would help if people could share their experience, part numbers, etc.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Only Walloth has the Bilstein Sports, but they have a larger piston and use the M48 gland nut with large opening, e9 and e3 have M50 with smaller piston until 74 or so on e3. I am calling Carl N to find what to use non Monday.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as i have mixed struts i bought a M48 and a M50 Bilsteins at W&N , they had them both.....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
oh, you mean the internal construction of the shocks ??? that i don't know... W&N confirmed me they are approx the same.....

mosearch

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of NOS Koni reds from Mesa last year...They might have another pair available.
It turned out the Bilsteins I had were just fine...so I never actually installed the Konis...therefore I can't offer a performance a comparison.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are. Sometimes "hard" to find, but...there are. I got a set of Boge Turbo TS strut inserts a few years ago on eBay for 1/2 a song. Well I wanted to use them on my E3 that came to me with a blown/dead Bilstein Sport, so I started a search Rear shocks to match the front inserts I was sitting on showed up on eBay last year, and the seller was steadfast in rebuffing my "best offers." Eventually we struck a deal, at about 150 shipped. Not a big savings over Bilsteins I know, but they match the inserts I was sitting on and so for less than 1/2 of the cost for a set of 4 billys, the tan sedan has orange Boges with green Racing Dynamics springs. ya mon!

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have I set of gas KYB’s I got off Rockauto about 5 or 6 years ago. I believe Jim at Mesa still lists them on his website.. I know some people feel they’re a bit stiff but I plan in installing them in the future. As soon as I find a good deal on strut bearings.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
it would be nice if Jim was on here and could respond to threads. way easier than calling. lol

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
He’s too busy complaining.... oh wait, just catch him when no one is at the counter or I could go in for you!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
He’s too busy complaining.... oh wait, just catch him when no one is at the counter or I could go in for you!
Chris, you probably bring him a coffee or something, then let him vent about the dumb-ass phone calls he receives,...and duct-tape, you really can't go wrong here, Jim is a master at matching you up with well-priced alternatives. Mike

Dowst

Reaction score
I went from the stock shocks and struts on my 72 4 spd to Bilstein Sports and sometimes regret it. The car has grippy 205's on 15" wheels, and while the cornering performance is now phenomenal, a good amount of drivability and do-it-all character has been lost from the car. I have had the opportunity to drive my car back to back with another '72 with stock or similar soft dampers, and feel like unless you are stripping the car out and building a ripper, you would be better off with more forgiving damping and larger swaybars to help control body roll. I think that this setup might be as, or nearly, as fast through the corners but much easier to live with. The sports can be very harsh sometimes. Very tight and controlled feeling, but the pavement (or dirt road, in my case) really gets transmitted into the chassis and I feel like this is harder on equipment (interior rattles may appear) and passengers. I wish I had the option to adjust. The E3 saloon is such a versatile chassis, and a good bit of this is compromised with really stiff damping characteristics. Maybe I am just riding on the bump stops, but if I pulled it all apart again I might find myself just going back to stock.

In most applications, Bilstein Sports and HDs often share the same valving, but are designed for different suspension travel (or stroke). This may or may not be true for the e3/e9 chassis, since I have certainly seen the Bilsteins with a smaller diameter piston rod ( I think these are the HDs, but maybe they are the Tourings?).

I think your best bet would be some NOS or high quality used adjustable Konis or Bilstein HD's if the HDs are indeed a bit softer than the Sports. I have also seen adjustable SPAX (which are English, I have no idea if they are any good, but I have seen their advertisements throughout my vintage car mags). If you are building a ripper, get the Sports and replace driver's seat with one with better side bolstering! Post a wanted ad on here, and keep your eyes peeled on eBay for NOS. Try not to mix and match dampers front and rear. Sports might be easy to find basically brand new but previously installed, as often people swap out from the Sports right away after feeling how harsh the ride is. That's how I got mine.