Which cars came with rear fog light?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I look at potential cars to buy I see that some have the integrated rear fog light and some don't. I realize US cars likely didn't have however I'm looking at European spec cars online and reprints of period car magazine articles and not every car has it.

Was it determined by country specifications or by production year?

Thanks!

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello

For info, orange ETK books tells that separate-integrated fog light ( ref 63 24 1 353 254 )was not fit on US spec cars.
On the other hand, Europe spec cars were all fitted exception to:
2800CS till VIN 2 205 916 and 2800 CSa till VIN 2 221 633.

This seems weird to me, as US cars has always additional safety compared with Europeans.
To my opinion, this light is part of it.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, thank you for the information. What is the orange ETK book?

D-jetronic

Reaction score
They are the original A5 size "Behelfs-katalog" (ErsatzTeileKatalog or ETK) of BMW, used by dealers for all 70-80 cars and bikes .
For E9 -for example-they include all car parts and world specs, and are the most complete parts catalogue concerning a car you can find.
Original first edition was orange (that's why) and revised ones were grey.
Then came CD's and they were not used anymore-at the beginning of 90'ies.
A must for restorers!.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, OK, I get it. It's like the ETKA for Audi and the PET for Porsche, both of which I have on CD. Where can I find the ETK for the E9's in CD?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
As a stop-gap measure, realoem.com makes an excellent resource. They are lacking many E9 components, however.

Also, my CS is Euro-spec and it does have the rear fog light.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where can I find the ETK for the E9's in CD?

From the dealer or other Bmw parts retailers, they usually go for about $75-$100. There are various online Bmw parts catalogs that are the exactly the same as the CD and they also have the Bmw msrp. One caveat with the CD or the online catalogs is that many parts have been omitted or lost when it was transferred over to the digital format from the original printed catalog.

The old orange parts books are NLA but a newer updated larger formatted version is available through BMW or other parts retailers such as LaJolla Independent Bmw (Carl Nelson). http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts.php?part=80

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Bert and X Atlas0 (Sorry; pet peeve: NO names in forums...):

Thanks for the tips guys! The Maximillian Imports catalog seems to be the same as the realoem one. However prices on Maximillian are lower in many cases. Are those prices real? Has anyone actually order anything recently from Maximillian?

pmansson

Reaction score
2 of my early "Italian" CSi cars, built in spring `73 do not have them, but another Italian CSi, built slightly lated does, so there might be a divide around May `73, or was it an option in Italy. I don´t know....

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were the rear fog lights legal in all European countries or were they banned in certain countries liked it was here in the US?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Bert and X Atlas0 (Sorry; pet peeve: NO names in forums...):

Thanks for the tips guys! The Maximillian Imports catalog seems to be the same as the realoem one. However prices on Maximillian are lower in many cases. Are those prices real? Has anyone actually order anything recently from Maximillian?

Yes, Maximillian prices are legit and up to date as the prices have been set by Bmw MobileTradition.

Other than the dealers, Maximillian is the only other independent authorized retailer to sell genuine MT parts. Never had problem buying parts from Max, but deliveries usually take a bit too long, IMO. Have not ordered them for awhile so maybe things have changed.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello

Trying to make it out, I found 2 different part number for the chrome part-supporting the fog light -between the rear lights.
*1 with the hole for the fog light ( concerning cars with/except USA/ fog light)
*1 without which concern France, Italy and Sweden.
If this confirms what Peder said about his italian cars, something puzzles me !!!

IMG_5305.jpg

May be -as peder said - for the new series ???
I check !!!!!.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
You're right, original french, and italian were orange .
I changed for german lights.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Rear fog lamps--

I don't recall that fog lights were banned on US Models--just not specified as our US spec cars--in those early days our U.S. Department of Transportation was in their infancy and seemingly more concerned with "collision bumpers" and the like.

A major oversight as-in California--there have been some major accidents in heavy fog conditions--both here in Orange county and especially in the Central Valley with their notorious Tulle fogs" that absolutely block all visibility--often so suddenly without prelims. there is a piling on of cars and trucks. I remember one that happened along the lower part of I-5 in then un-developed Irvine--where there were still orange groves--110 cars and trucks were involved in a rear ending melee--amazingly only 1 death resulted but many, many thousands of dollars of damage in a matter of a couple of minutes

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I have been in fogs like that up the I5...so thick you could not see 5 feet in front! I doubt any fog lights would help in those situations.
abe

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have been in fogs like that up the I5...so thick you could not see 5 feet in front! I doubt any fog lights would help in those situations.
abe
That is when you get to use the "collision bumpers" the DOT was focusing on...