............Where most of them come from !!!!

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello all E9 lovers.

Another sharing of a rare sight !!!!.
Assembly line of early E9 at the Karmann Rheine factory.
You will notice every single details.
A mech gently hammering the hood at the center.
Seats waiting to be put in the cars waiting-covered -on shelves.
No engine or front or rear wheels and transmission.
First car with no grille on the left front fender (just the "folie" black sticker)
Further at the back, car bodies waiting etc....

(courtesy of the Karmann Archives.)
best to all !!

feri

Reaction score
Dear D-Jetronic, this is an excellent picture ! Thank you for sharing.

Please let us know how did you get this picture :)

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The driver side mirror on the white coupe in the foreground is interesting. Even though it is rotated strangely it doesn't look like any coupe mirror I have ever seen (thin body). Anyone know the trivia on this?

pmansson

Reaction score
This is a very early picture. 1969 I would say. That mirror was the first type used. You can see it on a picture in the Owners Manual for the 2800CS. A picture of a car on a driveway and there might be snow on the ground...?? (little did BMW know about the incompatibility of the E9 with snow and salt....)

The cars seem to have clear glass which was also the standard in 1968-70 or so. The first car´s glass is probably miscoloured by something green well away from the car.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello

I 'm in contact at the moment with the Karmann archives , and they sent me this photo.
Therefore, something puzzles me.
Karmann says it is taken from the Rheine factory.
But as some one mentionned, I 'm practically sure all bodies are 2800CS.
(Mirror, seats with no headrests....)
Refering to my previous post "...where they all come from", all 2800 CS were sent from Osnabruck to Dingolfing (9399 units).
Then I think,despite Karmann info, this is a photo taken in Osnabruck.
What do you think ???.

shanon

Reaction score
...Hey! Is that my car?!?! :lol:

My Dec 1969 2800cs was originally Polaris

....hhhmmmm. :wink:

-shanon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great pictures. So that is what they mean by Karmann doing the body and the mechanicals done somewhere else...

There is no rust visible in the picture, so the immediate Karmann rust is a myth. And don't make much of the hammering and workers poses. On picture days they gather the best looking employees and ask them to pretend they are working. Been there, but won't tell if I was asked to be in the picture or behind the camera.

DJSimca

Reaction score
This is indeed a great picture .. pls. see if you can get Karmann to share some more.

Obviously production line methods were somewhat different in the late 60s, early 70s but what is that guy with the hammer doing ... fixing a dent in the bonnet?? Shouldn't that have been done before painting the car? :lol:

DJSimca

Reaction score
oh .. and look at the build sheet in the windscreen ... wouldn't we give our right arms for those build sheets :lol:

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hi

Don't worry I 'm trying to get more pictures !!
Concerning the type of E9, I found this photo in my doc. The window is an early one and the same as in the pic.
I think it clearly identify those cars as 2800 CS, as 3.0 CS were issued with trapezoidal ones like CSi.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
My South African 1969 2800 CSA also had the mirror and clear glass
(Built October 68, delivered Durban South Africa March 69 to Mr I Patel.)

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 CS has the mirrors mounted in the same place....It all depended on how many beers Fritz und Heinz had for lunch, I guess...

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

mirrors "middle of driver door " comply with US requirements and typical of US models.
See previous thread ".......where they all come from"
B&W photo of assembly lines.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Middle of the door--US spec cars--but this one?

Although--the one shown in the early ad is probably NOT US bound--no front and rear side reflectors. BLUMAX was/is #16 US spec delivered to original owner (a young US Army Officer) at the factory 1 October 1969--had same mirror AND side markers per our USDOT mandated "safety" requirements that also included required headrests--

That mirror was long ago replaced by larger ones on both sides for safety reasons for driving many, many thousands of miles on California Freeways--trust that it has helped--as BLUMAX has come through that experience un-marked by errant drivers--and we do have a few of them populating our roads here.