Wheel fitment question

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are they easy to install or do I need to get a professional to do them?

It depends on what you consider easy is, it took me a couple of hours to install them. You need to remove both struts from the car to get access to the top of the strut, tap out the existing bolts on the strut top mount, bolt the camber plate to the strut top mount, and install the struts again.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have only the very slightest glancing up front with my 16". I can live with it and it's not bad enough to want to roll my fenders (hate to do that to a CSL).

I wonder if just adding neg camber plates alone would fix this issue? They seem to be only $80 a set so will probably give them a go.

Are they easy to install or do I need to get a professional to do them?
You need to compress the springs, remove the shock nut with an impact gun, remove strut bearing and tap out it’s three bolts. The camber plate bolts face down into the strut bearing.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
You need to compress the springs, remove the shock nut with an impact gun, remove strut bearing and tap out it’s three bolts. The camber plate bolts face down into the strut bearing.

Hmm, are you sure about that Chris? IIRC I didn't remove the springs when I installed my camber plates, but I can be wrong since I've had the struts on and off several times for different reasonso_O
I simply knocked down the bolts that are locked in place with splines, should be plenty of room to remove them without removing the springs.
Here is an early pic of my struts before I installed lowering springs and camber plates, I also had the three bolts cut down a bit since I don't use the US-only spacer, which happened before I removed the bolts to install the plates.

Click to enlarge:
struts.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmm, are you sure about that Chris? IIRC I didn't remove the springs when I installed my camber plates, but I can be wrong since I've had the struts on and off several times for different reasonso_O
I simply knocked down the bolts that are locked in place with splines, should be plenty of room to remove them without removing the springs.
Here is an early pic of my struts before I installed lowering springs and camber plates, I also had the three bolts cut down a bit since I don't use the US-only spacer, which happened before I removed the bolts to install the plates.

Click to enlarge:
View attachment 83036
You don’t have to remove springs but you need room to knock out the bolts.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You don’t have to remove springs but you need room to knock out the bolts.

Keep in mind that you have a US car and your bolts may have been 25mm longer. Did you have the spacers on top or bottom before you added the camber plates?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you have a US car and your bolts may have been 25mm longer. Did you have the spacers on top or bottom before you added the camber plates?
Regardless of length, mine were longer, they need to be removed to accept the camber plate.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regardless of length, mine were longer, they need to be removed to accept the camber plate.

I wonder if the euro bolts can be tapped out without removing anything. They look too long in the pics that @Gransin posted, but I’ll take his word for it. I have no idea. I didn’t even realize that you could tap them out and I have two extra sets of these...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, you can I guess but you need leverage to install new bolts. However, older strut bearings can’t use new bolts, the size and serrations are different, I tried it first.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos , I was sure, but Chris got me unsure, so don't take my word for it, my memory plays tricks on me everyday it feels like, young children, not enough sleep..
As I previously said, my bolts were already cut by half, or more, before I knocked them out (I have no spacers).
I'm pretty sure they should go straight out without compressing the springs, the strut top mount rotates, so you can move each bolt to the place with most room.
I'm not sure if the full lenght (for US spacers) bolts would go straight out without cutting them down first. I don't know why, but my new replacement strut top mounts I bought came with full-lenght bolts to use with spacers, as can be seen in my previous picture.
The camber plates has welded bolts, and can easily be installed as long as you have successfully removed the old bolts, just spin on the nuts and tighten them up with a wrench.

If somebody else tells me I'm wrong, I'm willing to accept:D

camber plates 1.jpg

IMG-20111210-00133.jpg

More pics of the strut top mount:

14499-2391b789c3afdc339095bd9306fce09b.jpg

Untitled.jpg