Wheel fitment question

Memo

Reaction score
No the 6x14 are what came on the 74’s. The lip is smaller. The 7x14 FPS look just like the CSL Alpinas but with 10 holes and the FPS logo.

Different part number, size, offset, and part number:
View attachment 80579
My apologies if this is off topic, but I'm new and trying to find out if this wheel is a good fit. I've laid my hands on a 72 CSi with the alpina 7JX16 + 8JX16 setup, which is very pretty, but the front tyres rub the fender. I'm looking into switching to these rims. I understand the offset is the same on 7" wheels. Would these take care of the rubbing problem, even with 205/14R70 tyres?

Best Regards,
memo

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Memo - the tire on the 14" wheel (195/70 ot 205/70) have a narrower rubber contact patch than the 205/55-16 tire. the 14" tire is more 'bulbous' in section so it tapers away from the fender lip. the 14" tire has a section width of 7.9" and a tread width of 5.7" .... the 16" tire has a section width of 8.4" and a tread width of 6.8" .... so you can see, the 16" tire is wider

if you want to keep the 16" alpinas, there are 2 things you can (should) do - 1. roll the fender lips to pull them away from the tire and 2. install fixed negative camber plates from Carl Nelson http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts-find...cscsicsl/3-0-cs-negative-camber-plates-front/

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
your front tire is rubbing.

what size is it?

205-55-16 should fit just fine.

Would be easier and cheaper to just roll the fender lip. Would look better IMHO if you stay w/the 16s.

Super easy using this tool:

p31158.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i caught the left front fender lip on my coupe with 205/55 - 16 tires. i have since rolled my fenders lips. i used the machine shown by Rob. you must heat the paint to keep it from cracking. even so, the paint may crack even with heating - mine did.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i caught the left front fender lip on my coupe with 205/55 - 16 tires. i have since rolled my fenders lips. i used the machine shown by Rob. you must heat the paint to keep it from cracking. even so, the paint may crack even with heating - mine did.
Ditto, mine rubbed too, fenders must be rolled with 16s.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BBS RS, 16 x 7, ET 11 with 205/55 16 and adjustable negative camber plates. Front fenders rolled between 10 & 2 o'clock.

Dooley Illust pic.jpg

Memo

Reaction score
Thank you everyone,

50405185_367226060745039_8197332511940935680_n.jpg

I do like the look of the 16" rims. But I will sacrifice that if it spares me fender damage.

Yes, the front tyres are 205/16R55. The lips are now rolled, altough a bit too late. Still rubbing at times. Would the 0.5 degree camber plates do away with that? How will that impact tyre wear? I have even considered having 5mm taken off the inside of the front rims.

Also, I have E12 lowering springs in front and CSL springs in the back (that's the way they seem to set them up with the 16" rims in the Netherlands, where the car is from) and the car is a bit too low for my taste, especially in the rear. The shocks are bilstein B6 HD. I want to raise the car a little, but not quite to stock height. Although I have the original springs, so I might consider just putting them back.

BBS RS, 16 x 7, ET 11 with 205/55 16 and adjustable negative camber plates. Front fenders rolled between 10 & 2 o'clock.

What springs do you have there?

BR memo

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, the front tyres are 205/16R55. The lips are now rolled, altough a bit too late. Still rubbing at times. Would the 0.5 degree camber plates do away with that? How will that impact tyre wear? I have even considered having 5mm taken off the inside of the front rims.

I'm almost certain the last rubbing would go away with the CN negative camber plates. I have the same tire size and offset + camber plates + e12 -40mm springs, I've not rolled my fenders but my tires have not hit the fenders even slightly yet.

Tire wear shouldn't be a problem, if the toe is adjusted properly.

Last edited:

Memo

Reaction score
I'm almost certain the last rubbing would go away with the CN negative camber plates. I have the same tire size and offset + camber plates + e12 -40mm springs, I've not rolled my fenders but my tires have not hit the fenders even slightly yet.

Tire wear shouldn't be a problem, if the toe is adjusted properly.

Thx,

Can you point me somewhere here in Europe where I might lay my hands on the kind of plates I need? Maybe even in Finland? Should they be adjustable, as these cars are probably not geometrically perfect...?

Memo

Reaction score
Have an old set of Carl Nelson springs up front, stock springs in the rear.
Wow,

The car looks lovely with the original rims. I think I'll forget about the alpina 7x14s and have the 6x14 originals refurbished, put on 195/14R70 Vredesteins, and see about the alpina 16s once the car is otherwise on the road.

I might try stock springs in the rear, but I wonder what I should put in front.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have negative camber plates with lowering springs on 14" wheels and my tires rubbed the lip (and messed it up) so defintiely roll your arches. Not worth the pain and suffering otherwise.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Memo - the tire on the 14" wheel (195/70 ot 205/70) have a narrower rubber contact patch than the 205/55-16 tire. the 14" tire is more 'bulbous' in section so it tapers away from the fender lip. the 14" tire has a section width of 7.9" and a tread width of 5.7" .... the 16" tire has a section width of 8.4" and a tread width of 6.8" .... so you can see, the 16" tire is wider

if you want to keep the 16" alpinas, there are 2 things you can (should) do - 1. roll the fender lips to pull them away from the tire and 2. install fixed negative camber plates from Carl Nelson http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts-find...cscsicsl/3-0-cs-negative-camber-plates-front/

I have only the very slightest glancing up front with my 16". I can live with it and it's not bad enough to want to roll my fenders (hate to do that to a CSL).

I wonder if just adding neg camber plates alone would fix this issue? They seem to be only $80 a set so will probably give them a go.

Are they easy to install or do I need to get a professional to do them?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thx,

Can you point me somewhere here in Europe where I might lay my hands on the kind of plates I need? Maybe even in Finland? Should they be adjustable, as these cars are probably not geometrically perfect...?

Sorry, I bought my fixed plates from Carl Nelson, couldn't find anything in Europe a couple of years ago.
Adjustable is better, and more expensive.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have adjustable negative camber plates to 1 negative degree on both sides. With the fixed plates my passenger side was zero with the driver side being negative 1.