What is it?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I got this piece as part of a bunch of stuff for the clutch mechanism. I thought I had everything but this looks like it belongs to something else. Any ideas? I'm doing a 5-sp conversion so I don't have any old clutch parts to match this up against. The clutch master seems to have the same eyelet which screws into the cylinder but the spring thingy looks strange.

Thanks,

Attachments

• what is it.jpg
    what is it.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 233

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It looks like a clutch pedal return spring. Penske shows part number 35311111504, only applicable from 10/73 to 11/75 which would explain why some (most?) owners haven't seen it. The E30 uses a similar part.

roundel

Reaction score
It is the clutch pedal spring from an E21/E24. It is the one designed to make the pedal lighter to hold down, in traffic etc...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks All

And I finally know what destroyed the Brady's vacation, it is listed in the BMW parts manual as the "Evil Tiki", that bringer of bad luck which causes Gregg to wipe out on his surfboard, Alice to throw her back out and Peter to be the victim of a tarantula attack.

Now, if I return the Tiki to the sacred cave and deliver it to Vincent Price will there be any bad juju, or in BMW speak, if I leave it off the car will I suffer greatly?