What did you do to your E9 today?

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cleaned engine/gearbox today...

0692e9925956c13220141b4f87e24c7f.jpg

29dcae3f47835eb29749018cb87bac9c.jpg

I am thinking of sandblasting valve cover and paint it in black and polish of BMW sign and stripes but I have doubts about doing it

Don’t know what to do with air intake that it would look tasteful. Cleaned it as much as I can "polishing" wouldn’t last long....

Any suggestions?

Will be opening my own thread this days ....

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was going to post this in my project restoration thread. But frankly, there has not been any work that I'd classify as restoration. Just a lot of putzing around and finishing up other projects. That and the holidays...
20171227-on dollies.jpg

But today I put the car on dollies and tucked it into the corner so we can get another car into the garage. It is not lost on me that tucking it into the corner likely means even less "restoration" work will immediately follow. Towards that, my wife and I are "discussing" replacing our other garage (the one actually at our house) with a larger one. This would make working on the car much more probable. ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to post this in my project restoration thread. But frankly, there has not been any work that I'd classify as restoration. Just a lot of putzing around and finishing up other projects. That and the holidays...

Hmm, I think I set precedence with 13 pages of putting around with my “resto” thread. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos said:
Hmm, I think I set precedence with 13 pages of putting around with my “resto” thread.
Thanks - that makes me feel better. And I hope it sets an achievable benchmark for me - ha ha. I have over twelve more pages to go before I make any real progress. ;)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
so my friend and I ordered the reissue 205/70/14 Pirelli CN36 Cinturatos on Tues and damned if they didn't show up on Friday - from the UK woah! But of course I wasn't expecting them so I had to fetch today. Longstone Tyres is AAA+++. 199 Quid each - delivered in 2 days holy crap. These things are so badass looking I can't stand it. Cool tread and fat sidewalls. I will start a thread when I put them on my 14" Alpinas so you can judge for yourself but I am now going to get a glass of wine and look at them some more.

b8c8ef164f98adb51bed12ca235eb82c._.jpg

267b928528755a7720dfe2abb95d31e3._.jpg
steve, i guess you had an introduction price
longstone is asking 270 euro each now ;-)
almost as expensive as michelins now,...hahaha

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes 199 gbp = $270. i just looked on longstone's website and the delivered price to the USA = $268.65 ... because we don't have to pay the tax. with tax its $322 = 269 euro.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since the temperature finally got up to (and above) 20 degrees F, I turned the heat pump on in the hobby garage mid-morning and opened the car doors on the e9 and Sl55. Turned it off at 2 PM as it started raining (which can cause the HP exterior condenser to freeze over). Moved the interior temps from 31 degrees to ~50 degrees. Both cars (and all the fluids in that garage) should be happier - I know I am (ambient temp was minus 4 degrees F on Sunday morning).

From the Disney like "Frozen" mid-Atlantic - USA,

Gary

Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't been around here much lately because the coupe has been in storage in various garages around town while I work on an addition to my garage. It's taken a lot longer than originally thought and the car has been in two dealership showrooms, a Public Storage, a Self Storage, a friend's apartment garage and now a different friend's newly completed garage condo. I hope to have my garage's "final inspection" in the next month but then I'll start building the cabinets so it may still be a while before the coupe comes home. In the meantime, the coupe has some nice company.
IMG_3462.JPG

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I picked up the big coupe from E9 guru Terry Sayther this morning, and it feels like a completely different car after Terry and his guys have worked their magic on it. They performed a major service, adjusted the valves, replaced engine and differential mounts, belts, converted to a modern BMW oil filter set-up, installed Carl Nelson springs and Bilsteins all round, got the windows and boot lid sealing properly, remounted and rewired the fuel pump, replaced fuel lines, adjusted the driver's door latch, installed a full stainless steel Quick Silver exhaust system, and on and on and on.

The drive back to work at Classic Jaguar was absolutely fantastic!

Great customer service and top notch marque specific expertise from Terry Sayther Automotive in Austin.

11118dm1.jpg

11118dm5.jpg

11118dm3.jpg

11118dm6.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Dan Mooney, please let us all know how you resolve the horn ring issue on the 2002 hub. Would be cool to see pics when done and which horn ring was installed.
Thanks
Keshav

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Danke Schön! I think you have the attention of many members, all awaiting to see the real deal.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Just curious what the typical, correct length of the exhaust tip how far it should stick out?

View attachment 38913
Thanks Rob,

Terry Sayther explained to me that it needs to protrude far enough to prevent exhaust fumes getting into the boot compartment. In fact, one of the issues I had with the car prior to taking it to Terry was a slight exhaust smell inside the cabin. Terry improved the seal of the boot lid which has eliminated this problem altogether.

It may be that the Quick Silver exhaust system sticks out a tad further than a stock exhaust? I really don't know, and I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it. Terry did say that the Quick Silver system was a very high quality product, if any of you are considering a stainless steel exhaust.

Cheers!
Dan