What did you do to your E3 today?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since the Golf Bavaria Mini Build Thread has pretty much run it's course I felt like us e3 owner's should also have a thread dedicated to the misc. on-goings of our builds. The on-going maintenance of our breed so to speak. LOL.

I thought I would start it off with the removal of the speedo and clock. As we all know the clock in the e3 is very different from the clock in the e9. Both placement and design. It can be a tricky little bugger to pull out. It seems straight forward by removing the veneer, unscrewing the plastic nuts behind the veneer and clock, pull it though the back and viola right? Well, not so fast. A lot of times they get caught somehow under the metal portion and the dash and get wedged or hung up in there. This was the second time it happened and of course one should never force anything like this right? Especially a clock with glass and a bezel etc.

With some careful prying up on the metal portion and a small flat-head screwdriver to press the side back in eventually it came out undamaged. Be careful, have a little patience, and just know you may need to do a little finagling.

The speedo needs to be re-calibrated and the clock didn't keep time first go of rebuild so I'm debating on putting a modern quartz-back in (just the back part not an entirely new clock). Notice the LED lighting that fits right in the dash stock inserts around the gauges and the smaller ones that fit right in around where the clock gets lit up. They are nice, only thing to remember is to make sure the negative and positive correspond.

Attachments

• IMG_6683.JPG
    IMG_6683.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6676.JPG
    IMG_6676.JPG
    804.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_6678.JPG
    IMG_6678.JPG
    1,005 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6553.JPG
    IMG_6553.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_6554.JPG
    IMG_6554.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 260

Joe Barthlow

Reaction score
Getting my clock working is on the list. This week, though, I located original springs, original 14in wheels and a radio. Starting to think about swapping my bumpers out with the Euros I have. I have some work to do in the next couple months!

mosearch

Reaction score
Oh! An original radio?
Can I see a photo of what you got?...the one mine car came with does not seem to me the right era to be OEM...
I'd love to find a simple 5-push button AM/FM model...and I'm not sure if the European bandwidth models will work in the US...?
IMG_3007.JPG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our poor 2800 has been sitting for several months at Mike's shop so I dropped off the NK and brought the e3 home for a little love. When I rebuilt the front suspension I foolishly didn't replace the control arms and there was a tiny amount of play when hitting the brakes hard. I replaced them this morning, about one hour per side, maybe less and I don't have a lift either.

Joe Barthlow

Reaction score
I just got this Blaupunkt Frankfurt. Not sure what it came out of but it fits my hole in my console and it's fairly close to what I can find in photos. It works and it was about half the price of others I have seen. Looks like I got the right year too, model is for 1976

s-l1600-1.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Barthlow

Reaction score
Joe, What is the serial number and model number? I think those are vintage 76-78, it looks very nice.

7636 643 014
FTZ-Nr. U 108
K7881338
I found the 2002faq discussion. looks like 1976, which is great since my 3.0si is a '76. I got lucky. didn't realize the year of the radio until I go it

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not spectacular but something that made me very happy. For a few weeks now I found little drops of fluid under the left wheel arch. Clearly coolant fluid but simply couldn't figure out how it got there. That was until last week I took a closer look at my new looking but old filler cap. Clearly the sealing rubber wasn't in good shape anymore. Still available at BMW I ordered a new one for €21,40. Arrived yesterday and after installing that , no more coolant loss. So one more step closer to perfection.:)

Bellow a picture of the culprit. Old one on top , new one from BMW below.

Attachments

• Carrera 6.jpg
    Carrera 6.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Vuldop oo.jpg
    Vuldop oo.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 211

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can we also make this a "What has your E3 done to you" thread?
Since the subframe bushings on my M6 were not too bad to change, I just assumed they would be easy on the Bavaria and they beat the crap out of me.

Joe Barthlow

Reaction score
A few days ago it was devolution day for my '76 3.0si. I swapped out the lowering springs and 16inch wheels for original springs and original 14inch wheels (with help from Munich Motor Works in Portland). Yes, you read right. The previous owner was setting it up for track use, but I have different goals for the car. I am delighted with how the car now rides. It feels much smoother, quicker and more responsive. I understand some owners prefer the lowered ride with bigger wheels, but there has to be something said for original engineering. Next up, my bumpers.
IMG_2235.JPG

Last edited:

MatthewCervi

Reaction score
Took my exhaust manifolds off today to replace the bolts the PO used with proper studs and discovered they had put 3 of the gaskets on upside down so the gaskets were partially covering the exhaust ports on the head. I'm also convinced one of the ports didn't have a gasket on it, although I did fish a sixth one out of the front subframe. I'm positive I noticed it was missing before I pulled the bolts out of that port.