what color is this car?

cookbw

Reaction score
can anyone identify the color of this car?

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/08/25/almost-there-1973-bmw-35-cs-coupe/

one post at the bottom says arktis blau, but i thought that color was darker. perhaps this is not an original color.

second question is... how do you actually get an original color from 37 years ago on a repaint? is it possible to get the exact original paint from bmw, or does the shop just try to approximate based on old color samples?

cookbw

Reaction score
can anyone identify the color of this car?

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/08/25/almost-there-1973-bmw-35-cs-coupe/

one post at the bottom says arktis blau, but i thought that color was darker. perhaps this is not an original color.

second question is... how do you actually get an original color from 37 years ago on a repaint? is it possible to get the exact original paint from bmw, or does the shop just try to approximate based on old color samples?

coupeking

Reaction score
Looks to me like a very close approximation of Baikal Blue, an original vintage color.
Your query about color matching is on point. The paint that BMW used in the '70's is long out of production and now illegal to use even if you had some. We have gone through several government mandated changes in paint formulations and each time the paint companies debride away the old colors that aren't commonly called for. You can't just go to a paint shop these days and order a quart of Baikal Blue, or Inka, or Polaris...
I've taken to keeping a file of samples of the original colors, pieces of metal taken from dead cars or wrecked body panels, to keep as a color library. Usually you can find a nice original and unmolested piece of the original color on the underside of the trunklid, or from 2002's under the stickers on the back half underside of the hood. So few original cars out there any more that nobody really knows what the colors should be without these reference samples.
Even with an original sample, certain colors are still very difficult to match, due to restrictions on the pigments needed. Lot of art involved in matching colors today.
Anybody have a good sample of original Ceylon Gold for my 'library'?
Peter
[email protected]

coupeking

Reaction score
Looks to me like a very close approximation of Baikal Blue, an original vintage color.
Your query about color matching is on point. The paint that BMW used in the '70's is long out of production and now illegal to use even if you had some. We have gone through several government mandated changes in paint formulations and each time the paint companies debride away the old colors that aren't commonly called for. You can't just go to a paint shop these days and order a quart of Baikal Blue, or Inka, or Polaris...
I've taken to keeping a file of samples of the original colors, pieces of metal taken from dead cars or wrecked body panels, to keep as a color library. Usually you can find a nice original and unmolested piece of the original color on the underside of the trunklid, or from 2002's under the stickers on the back half underside of the hood. So few original cars out there any more that nobody really knows what the colors should be without these reference samples.
Even with an original sample, certain colors are still very difficult to match, due to restrictions on the pigments needed. Lot of art involved in matching colors today.
Anybody have a good sample of original Ceylon Gold for my 'library'?
Peter
[email protected]

gwittman

Reaction score
It looks a little dark for Baikal Blue. Mine is a repaint but it was matched to an area that had the original paint. That does not mean it is correct but my "Baikal Blue" is lighter than that car. Then again my car changes in brightness depending on how sunny or cloudy it is because of the metallic paint.

gwittman

Reaction score
It looks a little dark for Baikal Blue. Mine is a repaint but it was matched to an area that had the original paint. That does not mean it is correct but my "Baikal Blue" is lighter than that car. Then again my car changes in brightness depending on how sunny or cloudy it is because of the metallic paint.

cookbw

Reaction score
i concur. it seems too dark to be Baikal, but too light to be Arktis. anyhow, i like the look of it.

anyone out there ever seen an arktis blau e9? i'm having my car repainted and am considering that color, but don't know how to get a good sample to the paint man.

cookbw

Reaction score
i concur. it seems too dark to be Baikal, but too light to be Arktis. anyhow, i like the look of it.

anyone out there ever seen an arktis blau e9? i'm having my car repainted and am considering that color, but don't know how to get a good sample to the paint man.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original (late 60's, early 70's) Baikal fades a lot given enough time and sun. The Hoffmann car was Baikal, which some say is not a 1968-1969 color, this car in the internet photos is very very close to that.

Is "arktis" a later-year color? (72-75?)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original (late 60's, early 70's) Baikal fades a lot given enough time and sun. The Hoffmann car was Baikal, which some say is not a 1968-1969 color, this car in the internet photos is very very close to that.

Is "arktis" a later-year color? (72-75?)

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

Can't see (from the distance !) properly the color.
73 color chart in hand ,I would go for riviera or atlantic for non metallic.
And why not nachtblau for a metallic ?!

marc

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

Can't see (from the distance !) properly the color.
73 color chart in hand ,I would go for riviera or atlantic for non metallic.
And why not nachtblau for a metallic ?!

marc