What Alpina wheels will fit?

bjkelly

Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase new Alpina wheels for my '73 3.0cs, and obviously want to go larger than the stock 14", but am having a hard time finding out what actually fits on my coupe.

I'd like to go as large (and wide) as possible, and have low profile tires. So far, I've only seen 16" diameter (with 7" on the front and 8" on the back) being the largest size accommodated.

Obviously I want the tire circumference to be as close to stock, so that I don't have to mess with adjusting the speedo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

bjkelly

Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase new Alpina wheels for my '73 3.0cs, and obviously want to go larger than the stock 14", but am having a hard time finding out what actually fits on my coupe.

I'd like to go as large (and wide) as possible, and have low profile tires. So far, I've only seen 16" diameter (with 7" on the front and 8" on the back) being the largest size accommodated.

Obviously I want the tire circumference to be as close to stock, so that I don't have to mess with adjusting the speedo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have heard of people putting 8" wide wheels in the front, but I can't see how the tires wouldn't stick out beyond the fender. I had 225/50s on 16x7 Alpinas and they stuck out. There was minimum clearance from the strut on the other side. The 225s required that the front fender lips be rolled.

There is a lot more room in the rear, since the tread is so narrow, but I don't see why one would want to increase the "stagger" even more than with 8" wheels.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I have heard of people putting 8" wide wheels in the front, but I can't see how the tires wouldn't stick out beyond the fender. I had 225/50s on 16x7 Alpinas and they stuck out. There was minimum clearance from the strut on the other side. The 225s required that the front fender lips be rolled.

There is a lot more room in the rear, since the tread is so narrow, but I don't see why one would want to increase the "stagger" even more than with 8" wheels.

golfcsl 1972

Reaction score
Alpina Wheels

Greetings,

I have run 16x7 and 16x8 Alpina wheels on my CSL since the mid 1980's. Most people use 205/55/16 and 225/50/16 tires. For the past decade or so I have fitted soft compound Toyo Proxes RA1 225/50/16 on front and 245/45/16 on rear. (Actually, the car would not push as much with 225's all around but to be honest, I love to look of the 245's on the rear.) Car has had a Dinan Stage 3 suspension last 20 years (more negative camber) and my inner fender lips have been trimmed to mitigate any rubbing issues. Tires do not rub, even at the track.

Cheers!

Scott

golfcsl 1972

Reaction score
Alpina Wheels

Greetings,

I have run 16x7 and 16x8 Alpina wheels on my CSL since the mid 1980's. Most people use 205/55/16 and 225/50/16 tires. For the past decade or so I have fitted soft compound Toyo Proxes RA1 225/50/16 on front and 245/45/16 on rear. (Actually, the car would not push as much with 225's all around but to be honest, I love to look of the 245's on the rear.) Car has had a Dinan Stage 3 suspension last 20 years (more negative camber) and my inner fender lips have been trimmed to mitigate any rubbing issues. Tires do not rub, even at the track.

Cheers!

Scott

CookeD

Reaction score
So here's a question that I've not seen answered in the past...

The Alpina wheels with tires mounted are significantly heavier than the stock 14". Because of the added unsprung weight, in addition to increased cornering loads (from the larger contact patch / stickier tires), are there issues with wiping out wheel bearings that are in good shape to start with, espeically in the front (turn-in)?

CookeD

Reaction score
So here's a question that I've not seen answered in the past...

The Alpina wheels with tires mounted are significantly heavier than the stock 14". Because of the added unsprung weight, in addition to increased cornering loads (from the larger contact patch / stickier tires), are there issues with wiping out wheel bearings that are in good shape to start with, espeically in the front (turn-in)?

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bearings hold the car up, not the tires. In fact, the added weight of the tires would have a tendency to reduce the shock through the bearings. As you stated, however, the wider tires might be able to impart more g's through turning. I think the track guys here with their sticky's could probably bear testimony to longevity of the standard tapered rollers used in the coupe. I would guess, it's not a problem.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bearings hold the car up, not the tires. In fact, the added weight of the tires would have a tendency to reduce the shock through the bearings. As you stated, however, the wider tires might be able to impart more g's through turning. I think the track guys here with their sticky's could probably bear testimony to longevity of the standard tapered rollers used in the coupe. I would guess, it's not a problem.