Went for a cold weather drive

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I decided to put the charge on the battery and get the old girl out for a cold weather drive. The temp was well below 20f but once warmed up she was happy and purring down the road. Strangely, at a traffic light the temp shot way up and then cleared once I started moving. I must either have a sticky thermostat or an air bubble. I guess I'll try bleeding the coolant the next time I get her up to temp, if the problem persists I guess a new thermostat is in order. This has never been a problem before.

I'm going to to try using a solar battery tender to keep the battery topped up. It seems like I don't get around to driving her enough since the weather is so uncooperative.

DSCN2208.jpg

G

Reaction score
Cold weather

That's not cold weather..This is !
Montreal Jan 3
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
That's not cold weather..This is !
Montreal Jan 3

I sure do not want to see a picture of your coupe out in that mess! We got 24 inches a few weeks ago. This morning measured in around 20f with 50mph winds - we can't compete with Montreal but it still is pretty d&mn cold.

No comment on 75f in LA.

m_thompson

Reaction score
There is salt on the road in front of my house. I am not taking the coupe anywhere until we get enough rain to wash it off. It looks like I will have to wait a while.

Mario L.

Reaction score
CS Coupe in the snow

Way back in time when I was a tech at a BMW Porsche dealer in VT we had numerous customers that drove CS Coupes in the snow, year round, through VT mud season, on gravel roads, with roof racks and skis . . 4 steel wheels and Michelin X snows with studded tires . .
We used to install block heaters to keep these cars warm at night so when the temp dropped to minus 20 below the car would start in the morning . . even then they often needed a small shot of ether to come alive . . .

as for how a CS Coupe is in the snow . . . with 4 snows, pretty good!

Mario L.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Car looks quite nice, John! Def. sounds like your thermostat needed a wake up call!

Oh, and how was the family get together in Newport this week Al? (Pamp)

Way back in time when I was a tech at a BMW Porsche dealer in VT we had numerous customers that drove CS Coupes in the snow, year round, through VT mud season, on gravel roads, with roof racks and skis . . 4 steel wheels and Michelin X snows with studded tires . .
Perhaps even further back in time Mario, around the mid-seventies this California lad who always spent summers in Laguna or Newport decided to rough it and I spent over a year traveling the US (The NY the World Trade was only half constructed) in my el Camino (camper) and ended up deeply in love (still a mystery!) in White Bear Minnesota (outside of St. Paul)

1973_Volvo_P1800ES_Wagon_Front_1.jpg

I did mangage to get a job at Kline Volvo and Oldsmobile South of Minneapolis as their lot guy, tech trainee and part time Jaguar mechanic, as the owner loved them and as you all know they often need repair and maintenace.

My first day going to work should have told me of the winter to come...wet hair from the shower froze solid before I could run the 100 yards to the car and surprisingly the lot guys vehicle turned out to be a P1800 Wagon like the one pictured above.

There were times I used that (w/4 cyl. tractor motor Volvo decided on for power) car to push the small plow between the rows of new cars which were constantly buried in five feet of snow and it not only performed well it was also warm and cozy to operate in forty to fifty below temperatures.

Main lesson? I acquired (and there's always a lesson) the secret of keeping going...it had to do with something California folks never think about, which is adding the "HEAT" additive to the gasoline so that in the cold it doesn't crystalize and block the fuel flow as being stranded in Wisconsin on the way to Chicago is NOT the place one wishes to test out the cold weather survival gear!

Cheers!

Ran

m_thompson

Reaction score

My CS was a New England car that I bought it when it was 10 years old. You could put your arm through the front fenders and put things in the glove compartment or check the fuses. You could drive it during the winter, but you would have to be careful about the icicles hanging from the dash.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
My CS was a New England car that I bought it when it was 10 years old. You could put your arm through the front fenders and put things in the glove compartment or check the fuses. You could drive it during the winter, but you would have to be careful about the icicles hanging from the dash.

Just before succombing to exposure and hypothermia so if one is stranded in a blizzard simply recall in your mind the fact that it's currently summertime somewhere in the world.. here in down under in Australia where this photo was taken...

The weather is on the warm side, even warmer than Los Angeles in July when summer here ... My complaint to the tourist bureau would be that since the girls are all scantily clad on the road just outside my reach makes Coupe viewing a real difficult task, given the neck exercise required and the fact that to do any serious bikini watching from the left side of the road one has to gaze through the reflection in that pesky passenger window of the RHD Coupes driven there... Is a pity pedestrians walk on the opposite side facing traffic yet somehow it always works out.

Ran

PicForNewsletterAustralia2007172.JPG

66toaster

Reaction score
It got up to 48 degrees in the Phila. area on 12/27. Most of the 18" or so of snow we got a week prior had melted; roads were pretty dry. So I was able to take the coupe out for its monthly constitutional.

P.S. Mine has Webbers. What is the sequence for starting? Depress gas pedal first, then turn key & depress again or..turn key & depress gas pedal? Thanks!