Weber 40 DCOE is leaking after engin is shut off, why?

Reaction score
Hi,
One of my Weber 40 DCOE is leaking some ml of petrol a short wile after the engine is shut off (will cause a spot of petrol on the ground approximately 10 cm in diameter), it seams that the petrol is poring out of the air intake that is nearest to the side there the petrol intake hose is connected. I have exchanged the “needle valves” that should close by operating carburettor float and have also new gasket. When changing the top gasket with the carburettor float in my hand I could hear some fluid in it, could that be wrong, should the carburettor float be empty?

Anybody have a suggestion what is wrong and what I have to exchange?

Best BMW regards from Sweden

Ephriam K. Williams

Reaction score
Could be a float...

Could be your floats or a host of other things. Take it off and check it out. Weber DCOE's are the easiest thing on the planet. My daily driver has them on it. Respectfully...

Regards,

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
The float should not have gas in it and you should definitely replace it. This is a fairly common problem with Weber sidedrafts.

Reaction score
I think I have solved the problem, it is definitely the float that is the problem. By changing the lid including the float, now the other carburettor is leaking a short while after shutting off the engine. I will buy a new float to morrow and install it. Thanks for all help.

Best Borgward 2000 CS regards from Sweden

de coupe

Reaction score
Be very careful

Happen to me on another car that I built, Cylinder wash may happen " fuel going down the other way cause to mix with oil and your motor that you just built is somewhat shot"