Washer Pump Hose Routing

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone take a peek and let me know which connector on the pump goes to the reservoir and which one runs to the washer nozzles? The connectors on the pump are marked B and D.

Was doing some engine detailing and discovered a short length of kinked plastic hose that went from B to D. The hose from the washer nozzles was connected to the connector on the reservoir. This setup doesn't make sense to me...

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 256

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's what mine looks like:

Attachments

• IMG-20110103-00020.jpg
    IMG-20110103-00020.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 275

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve. Seems like pre-'74 cars have the "T" connector splitting the flow from the reservoir. Or is that for headlight washers?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No headlight washers, it feeds back into the top of thr resevoir for reasons unknown to me (pressure relief?), the other tube goes to the nozzles. Hmmm...

Attachments

• IMG-20110103-00022.jpg
    IMG-20110103-00022.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 215

61porsche

Reaction score
Washer Hose routing

Guys,

Check the parts diagram for your year. it looks to me like the tube jets don't have the T and overflow to the tank. ( That's how my 72 is.) The cars with the washer jets on the hood had the overflow. My guess is that it reduces the amount of water so the streams don't overshoot.

The sizes are there in the parts catalog as well. I have smaller tubing on everything past the pump.

Maybe someone else knows about the braided hose that the the 2002tii guys/ suppliers refer to as being correct either? My local hardware store carries it and it's something that seems subjective.

My problem is headers and heat and the pump hose. Zip strips and/or clamps don't seem to help. It's low on the fix list but there. Waiting on all new plastic containers or going to try the polident on them to see if that whitens them up....

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Diagram 61/13 - Looks like the washer nozzles (13) were for '71 to '75 cars, while the jets (15) were for '68 to '73 cars.

I ordered the 4.6mm hose line (4) from Penske Parts and received a black hose smaller in diameter than the clear/white braided hose already on my car.

The container lid (6) was superseded, so I wonder if the newer version accommodates the overflow line? My lid does not have any opening in it...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len,

I would skip the return to the cap, you are pumping water to the jets and the cap, it serves no purpose, it is not an overflow function. Carl Nelson has the clear hose, get it from him. The 2800CS had the metal pipes aimed at the windshield through the hood grilles, 3.0 has the jets on the hood. The dates in RealOEM are not accurate in my opinion.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. You're right; the diagrams are an amalgam of parts and years. Even if you had access to a series of completely original cars to compare, I'm sure each one would be somewhat different from the other.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, if the picture looks familiar- it's because you posted it :), I could not see spending 100.00 for a washer pump that will probably only get used when I have the car inspected so I bought one for 15.00. seems simple enough, water in - water out, 12 V. going somewhere, but there are only 2 wires so I should be able to figure that out. Thought I would poke around on the forum, then saw your tank- I presume, though I don't see any tanks like mine- that second fitting is just an "attached elbo?"- It does not lead to the tank, and I do not have an overflow hole in the cap big enough for a hose, just air. Did someone over-engineer, or did this come from the space shuttle?

Attachments

• washer pump9.jpg
    washer pump9.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 184

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In regards to the return hose through the lid of the tank, if you look carefully at the parts diagram you will notice a "jet" attached to the end of the hose inside the tank. This acts as a pressure relief (restricted by the small jet orifice inside the tank) in case the main cleaning jets are plugged by dirt, ice, etc.

What Peter shows is the later design where the elbow on the bottom of the tank incorporates the small pressure relief orifice directly into the tank. Cars with headlight washing/wiping systems have two such "elbows" under the tank:
IMG_2075.JPG

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are a few showing the routing from the hood to the washer reservoir:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 178
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 177