Wanted Fuel Tank - UK

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a very good fuel tank for a 1973 3.0 csi for sale? I see W&N have them, but not cheap!
Otherwise, any suggestions for a company in the South East that can renovate mine. The boot (trunk for my US friends!) and under the car smells of fuel so I assume it is leaking, but cant see any actual evidence of a leak.

Thanks C

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Does anyone have a very good fuel tank for a 1973 3.0 csi for sale? I see W&N have them, but not cheap!
Otherwise, any suggestions for a company in the South East that can renovate mine. The boot (trunk for my US friends!) and under the car smells of fuel so I assume it is leaking, but cant see any actual evidence of a leak.

Thanks C

Check the sending unit seal and the rubber filler boot, also change your gas cap seal, otherwise Robert Eckhart has used tanks in good condition.

Bloodnut

Reaction score

Thanks C

Hi C

I have a brand new fuel tank for a late 73 injected coupe.
It is for a post 10th month 73 car. P/N: 16 11 1 112 234
However, it is located in Melbourne, Australia.
Let me know if you are interested.

Tom.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks

Tom
Thank you, I will try to find one a bit closer to home, but if I get stuck it is good to know that you have one.
I also got some quotes to weld it, these range from , approx £400 to separate the two parts, weld, line the inside and bake, down to £100 ish to weld and they said don't line it. I guess that I will try the cheap fix first.

However, as Gernstetter suggested I will try those seals before all other methods.

Thanks to all for the help.

C

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their help so far. Back to the fuel smell.
As advised I had a good look at the relevant seals, all visible ones seem fine. However the breather vents to underneth the car between the fuel tank and rear bumper, I temporarily sealed this with tape. W&N shows a seal at the end of this vent pipe, but this seems like a holder rather than a seal, do you agree?
Where do I get a replacement fuel cap seal, or is that a new cap from W&N?
The filler line flex tube does not have a clamp, but two are shown on W&N, do other CSI's have these two additional clamps or are they push (and hope) fit like mine?
The sender unit must have a seal, does this unscrew? I see no ref to this on the W&N page, any advice? however there is a seal that looks like the one goes around the suction plate with houses the flow and return.

Lastly, this is an an opinion, does the rust on the tank look like I ned to get it welded, ie if this is the cause of the smell is it about to leak? My view is probably yes to be safe. And a tank of fuel here costs about a weeks wages!

Best wishes
C

Attachments

• P4050787.jpg
    P4050787.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P4050788.jpg
    P4050788.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 84

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
You very definitely what to have hose clips on the filler tube
I also had the fuel smell in my car years ago, the rust was in the seam of the tank.
When I took the tank out it really didn't look too bad but there was a definite leak at the joining seam.
I prised this seam open all the way round the tank (just enough to see what was going on) and then had the tank "stripped" in a caustic bath
After this was done it was very clear that there was a lot more rust in it the first apparent.
6 hours wrk by a panel beater to cut the rust out of it and rebuild it, pressure test for leaks etc.
Repaint the outside and POR 15 tank kit for the inside, it all adds up to $$$$$

To answer your question, yes, I would be taking that tank out and having a really good look at the rust and also the joining seam

Good luck

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the tank off, then it became clear that the filler is connected straight onto the tank with the rubber as protection around the outside of the neck, ie the tank is one piece and different to the images on the parts pages. However a close look reveals that post 1974 cars have this option, so no clamps needed on the neck.
Breather, very slight decay here, so I will change that. However the breather vents under the tank and inside the rear valance, so any fumes will rise and attempt to enter the boot around the tank seal. This seal was in a very poor state so I think this is where the breather fumes entered the boot. I will change that and refit everything, after a good clean up and paint, waxoil etc. if it works I will let you all know. Whilst the tank is out it leaves space too get at the rear valance and clean, paint, waxoil etc that bodywork.
Thanks for the help.
C

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
All worked out fine

I started this thread fearing my tank might be leaking due to the smell of petrol in the boot (trunk). However a clean and paint combined with new foam seal around the tank and new breather pipe venting under the car has left the boot almost fume free. If I use the car frequently there is no smell in the boot.
So if in doubt this is a cheaper fix than a tank repair, so worth a try first.

C