WANTED: cylinder head for '73 3.0cs

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to clarify...Do you want a 1973 cylinder head, or a cylinder head that fits a 1973?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A cylinder head that fits a '73.

hi, i have a plug qnd play complete one ready for assembly
correct one with holes for water passages and no cracks
all stuffed with original NOS parts, new valves, ...etc...etc
ideal for a cs as it has the camshaft and proper rod for a mechanical fuel pump
send an MP with your email if interested in the details

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A cylinder head that fits a '73.

Ahh. Someone told me you found a head already. I have one locally here in Seattle. It would need to be tested. Also, someone tapped the mechanical fuel pump hole, so you would need to be certain that it sealed properly. I asked the forum about this but I can't recall what the response was. The head already has a 272 cam in it also. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

Bionicgold

Reaction score
Ahh. Someone told me you found a head already. I have one locally here in Seattle. It would need to be tested. Also, someone tapped the mechanical fuel pump hole, so you would need to be certain that it sealed properly. I asked the forum about this but I can't recall what the response was. The head already has a 272 cam in it also. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

Thanks for the reply. The previous head didn't work out, so I'm still on the hunt. I'll PM you for details on the one you have.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The previous head didn't work out, so I'm still on the hunt. I'll PM you for details on the one you have.

Cool. I'll ask this really smart expert in SF about the fuel pump hole. I'm sure his response will be to use an electric fuel pump. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
wont a 86 work as thats what they replaced my oem with

The tricky part is finding a head that has the mechanical fuel pump provision, but isn't prone to cracking. Do they exist?

@Bionicgold - Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? I've been assuming mechanical.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay. Mine is an ‘81 358 head with new style water passages and a mechanical fuel pump hole. I will check for the infamous dimples.

Bionicgold

Reaction score
Okay. Mine is an ‘81 358 head with new style water passages and a mechanical fuel pump hole. I will check for the infamous dimples.

I'm an e9 novice and not familiar with all the nuances of the various heads. What is the situation with the dimples? What are the implications of using an '81 358 head on a carbureted '73 E9? Are modifications/cam swap, etc. required?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm an e9 novice and not familiar with all the nuances of the various heads. What is the situation with the dimples? What are the implications of using an '81 358 head on a carbureted '73 E9? Are modifications/cam swap, etc. required?

My head was on an e9. It has provisions for a mechanical pump. Newer heads often do not have a hole for the fuel pump. You want a newer head because the water passages changed. The old bean shaped passages were prone to cracking. The consensus is that ‘82+ heads are the way to go. Looks more like ‘81 to me...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a FAQ from Firstfives detailing some of the differences.

The dimples are like the wear indicators on your tires. If the head has been machined to remove slight warping, it will reduce the depth of the dimples, giving a quick visual indication of the head thickness without having to measure the total height. When the dimples are gone, it should not be machined again. Early heads do not have the dimples so must be measured to check for usability. If the head is cut too much, the compression rises to a dangerous value and while a thicker than normal head gasket might be enough to bring it down into normal range, it is not adviseable.

Attachments

• M30 Cylinder Head FAQ.pdf
    361.7 KB · Views: 104

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
my head is available, it is complete, perfect for the job:

- it has visible dimples, it is machined and tested
- it has the later nice holes for water passages
- it has the provision for the mechanical fuel pump (avoid the use of electrical fuel pumps with carbed engines if possible)
- it has NOS parts as valves, cams, rods, springs, seals, valve guides,
- it is a plug&play

see here:

final aspect, rear cover has the right o-ringwasher

head final 2.jpg

new NOS valves, check the dimples, very visible

head final 3 see dimples ok.jpg

complete with new banjo bolts for new oil spray bar

head final.jpg

new valve guides, and valve seats

head new guides and dimples visible.jpg

springs, washers, eccentric adjusting levers, all new

head process 1.jpg

head process 3.jpg

machined hardened seats

head process new valves.jpg

the correct setup for fuel mech pump, with rod and lever in 272º camshaft

mech pump setup ready.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
my head is available, it is complete, perfect for the job if you are a cheap bastard:

- it may have visible dimples, it is not machined or tested
- it has the later nice holes for water passages
- it has the provision for the mechanical fuel pump (avoid the use of electrical fuel pumps with carbed engines if possible)
- it has NO NOS parts as valves, cams, rods, springs, seals, valve guides,
- include free of carbon deposits
- free shipping
- it is a plug&play

D67B8694-3D2B-4D40-8824-C2311F386C43.jpeg

6AD44B29-6F41-47B3-A9C3-3C93535753CE.jpeg

30BAB17B-EBA0-47C0-8832-89AC75804C74.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos -- what is the issue with the fuel pump opening? I sealed off mine using OEM parts when I went to the triple webers because I needed the room. I would think this is readily reversible.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos -- what is the issue with the fuel pump opening? I sealed off mine using OEM parts when I went to the triple webers because I needed the room. I would think this is readily reversible.

it is a simple sealing, as there is almost no pressure of oil vapours there
in fact you can simply tap a bolt in there and done

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Hi Chris. I’m not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to my head? No issue, I just have a blocking plate installed at the moment. It uses the same bolt holes as the fuel pump. In genera, you just want to ensure that the head had the hole for the mechanical fuel pump.

I’m just using this head while I work out the fuel, linkages, and cooling on my triple setup.

B7E3A08C-BB78-482C-99C2-E9EE18BBED4F.jpeg