Vinyl repair advice?

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any insight on how to repair these items? The center console trim, I’ve gotten no’s from two quality upholstery repair shops. I didn’t ask about the lower gearshift area. That seems more straightforward. But I still wonder if there’s a shortcut for that, like a replacement part, etc, that might make the best sense.

Any pointers would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• EA3F95B2-787C-49DC-95F6-8A3EAF2A228C.jpeg
    EA3F95B2-787C-49DC-95F6-8A3EAF2A228C.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 147
  • E7F47CEE-CE75-4033-9226-05C5B1D400E1.jpeg
    E7F47CEE-CE75-4033-9226-05C5B1D400E1.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 150
  • F94D2BA6-95A9-4203-815D-ECCAB18BBB83.jpeg
    F94D2BA6-95A9-4203-815D-ECCAB18BBB83.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 142

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to confirm, you are aware that most of that problem area should be hidden right?

This vinyl is super thin, no fabric backing. It will be very difficult to repair. I would glue it down up top, full the small visible hole, and call it a day. Again, that part should be hidden.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just to confirm, you are aware that most of that problem area should be hidden right?

This vinyl is super thin, no fabric backing. It will be very difficult to repair. I would glue it down up top, full the small visible hole, and call it a day. Again, that part should be hidden.

I had no idea.

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score

No. Hidden by what? I thought that was the finished piece. I mean, it’s hidden by one of my steering wheel spokes, but every time I turn, I see it, and wonder, “why me, Lord, why me?”

I know a guy who patches and fills leather in old cars. Lemme see if he’s got any clever ideas.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I haven’t seen any scuffing or imprint suggesting it was ever tucked, and I probably would’ve cursed it until giving up & throwing money at it. It’s in one of those spots you can’t ignore.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No. Hidden by what? I thought that was the finished piece. I mean, it’s hidden by one of my steering wheel spokes, but every time I turn, I see it, and wonder, “why me, Lord, why me?”

I know a guy who patches and fills leather in old cars. Lemme see if he’s got any clever ideas.

Apologies if I am being obvious. I can’t tell if you pulled the console forward to evaluate the vinyl, or if your console has worked it’s way loose. The console side should sit under the aluminum trim plate. Only the small triangle should be visible up top (See Andrew’s). You will still have a small visible split, but you can fill it with a vinyl repair putty. @aearch has been using por15 putty I think.

The area in red should be tucked under the aluminum trim:
0D57B0B5-9FEF-4CB5-B2E8-129EA8D6C177.jpeg

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
Apologies if I am being obvious. I can’t tell if you pulled the console forward to evaluate the vinyl, or if your console has worked it’s way loose. The console side should sit under the aluminum trim plate. Only the small triangle should be visible up top (See Andrew’s). You will still have a small visible split, but you can fill it with a vinyl repair putty. @aearch has been using por15 putty I think.

The area in red should be tucked under the aluminum trim:
View attachment 83359
Oh. Gotcha. No. It came like that. Didn’t realize the structure was wrong. I’ll look at what happened. I’ve seen a lot of cars like this, it seems. So I assumed it was the way it left the factory.

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
Oh. Gotcha. No. It came like that. Didn’t realize the structure was wrong. I’ll look at what happened. I’ve seen a lot of cars like this, it seems. So I assumed it was the way it left the factory.
That vertical piece looks to be pretty fixed in place. Like there’s only one way for it to sit in there. I can see what you’re saying though. The aluminum trim is supposed to sit on top of it. I think the trim piece may be in wrong.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like Markos has said, that part fits under the dash rail, not exposed. When reattaching it to the vent fascia, it needs to rotated under it and then screwed to the fascia.

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
Thanks for that, guys. That mostly mitigates the problem. The leather painter guy I know will certainly be able to touch the rest up. He does really nice work.

Glad I asked here :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for that, guys. That mostly mitigates the problem. The leather painter guy I know will certainly be able to touch the rest up. He does really nice work.

Glad I asked here :)

Sadly I think I led you astray. The AC console sides have a different upper profile than the manual. I am used to seeing mine which doesn’t protrude nearly as far. Looking around on BaT, it looks like the AC consoles do stick out quite a bit. My apologies for the bad advice!

5B2E1794-9D87-400D-8E92-E92227F7BDBA.jpeg

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
Sadly I think I led you astray. The AC console sides have a different upper profile than the manual. I am used to seeing mine which doesn’t protrude nearly as far. Looking around on BaT, it looks like the AC consoles do stick out quite a bit. My apologies for the bad advice!

View attachment 83371
Hmmmm. Maybe. Looking at the piece on my car, it really does look like the deepest part was installed under something. There’s scoring where it seems to have been pulled out.

But yeah, I can’t see anything that obviously misinstalled. A fine puzzle, indeed. I’ll keep researching.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any insight on how to repair these items? The center console trim, I’ve gotten no’s from two quality upholstery repair shops. I didn’t ask about the lower gearshift area. That seems more straightforward. But I still wonder if there’s a shortcut for that, like a replacement part, etc, that might make the best sense.

Any pointers would be appreciated :)
I’ve also struck out.
View attachment 83357

lateral central console
and,

gearshift console

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
lateral central console
and,

gearshift console

:oops: Nope. If I tried to replicate your work, it would look like a pre-school art project—no idea whether it’s an airplane or a cow.

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
lateral central console
and,

gearshift console
Wow. Now, that’s some quality work. I hate to take everything out of mine. It’s all so tight, and in pretty darned good shape.

Although, if that thing isn’t sitting right, maybe I have to anyway.

But yeah, gorgeous work.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Although, if that thing isn’t sitting right, maybe I have to anyway.

I have something that may help. Here is a picture of my well used AC console side. I think you are right in that many are installed incorrectly. It is common to see them drooping, so that there is a 10mm gap below the aluminum trim. So many stick out on BaT that I am second guessing my statements.

Take “exhibit A” however. An AC console side as mentioned. Notice the dirty areas and the clean areas. Ask yourself what what exposed on the car, and what was covered by dashboard and trim.

I’m flip flopping again. Even the AC console sides should look nice and flush, like we saw on @adawil2002 ’s car.

7CB5B149-67B2-4ACB-85E6-CC8C7061A25F.jpeg

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
I have something that may help. Here is a picture of my well used AC console side. I think you are right in that many are installed incorrectly. It is common to see them dropping, so that there is a 10mm gap below the aluminum trim. So many stick out on BaT that I am second guessing my statements.

Take “exhibit A” however. An AC console side as mentioned. Notice the dirty areas and the clean areas. Ask yourself what what exposed on the car, and what was covered by dashboard and trim.

I’m flip flopping again. Even the AC console sides should look nice and flush, like we saw on @adawil2002 ’s car.

View attachment 83377