Used door panels

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I am trying to decide whether to change out my tan interior to a marine blue/black or black or ?. Carpet and seats are a relatively easy change with a carpet kit from Esty and re-upholstery. The door panels are a different story if you like to stay 'original'. The reason why you ask? I am not sold on the tan on tan; the car however is rock solid and will be a long term keeper. Does anyone have door panels (fronts and rears) you can share pictures of and are for sale!?

Happy (Canada) Thanksgiving!

Bill Patterson

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A tan interior in really nice condition can look beautiful. Are you sure you want to go away from white/tan combo? Do you have any photos of the current interior?

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi 'dang',
It certainly can! The interior needs a thorough cleaning, carpet, and the seats need attention. Maybe a darker carpet would add enough contrast! Time will tell as I begin this project and it progresses....

Kindest regards,
Bill P.

Attachments

• interior1.jpeg
    interior1.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 133
  • interior2.jpeg
    interior2.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 135
  • interior11.jpeg
    interior11.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 151
  • interior14.jpeg
    interior14.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 131
  • interior15.jpeg
    interior15.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 138
  • exterior1.jpeg
    exterior1.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aah, Saraha and tan, that's a little bit different since you're kind of overpowered by tan. I get it now. Yeah, some contrast would help. How about a saddle brown or darker tan for that contrast you're looking for? More like this beautiful machine...

Or browse here...

Dan

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
oh man, that interior would look great in my red car :)
unfortunately I'm too far away and I doubt my navy interior would be a good trade :)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
SEM makes a good vinyl paint, perhaps go that route. Do a few bits to give contrast?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cardinal red, with SEM on door panels, salt and pepper blk/grey carpet, red dot cocoa matts...Dont like red; a darker Cognac or Sienna brown (not the exterior SB..) might also be a neat contrast...Some of the Mercedes colors are great, SEM match the doors...with dk brown carpet. Your car, have some fun.
Living where we do, most of our vehicles are white w/tan interiors...otherwise things melt in the summer. Atlanta trade might be a win/win for where you both live...

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cardinal red, with SEM on door panels, salt and pepper blk/grey carpet, red dot cocoa matts...Dont like red; a darker Cognac or Sienna brown (not the exterior SB..) might also be a neat contrast...Some of the Mercedes colors are great, SEM match the doors...with dk brown carpet. Your car, have some fun.
Living where we do, most of our vehicles are white w/tan interiors...otherwise things melt in the summer. Atlanta trade might be a win/win for where you both live...

Hi 'dave v.', I like your suggestion to 'have fun'! Thx for that! My hesitation is the quality and durability of 'painting' or 'dyeing' vinyl. Cool idea and worth investigating though. We will see if tradesies work out; both 'duct-tape' and I are in no rush; car is stored for the winter.

Regards,
Bill P.

kkro

Reaction score
Hi there

I guess you Americans are used to finding your used parts in your own country, or even in your own state. No such luxury here in Norway.

However, I spotted these blue door covers for sale in Germany, so if your are very eager, you can buy those.

Probably you want an easier solution.

Screenshot_20191017-212304_Samsung Internet.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bill, My theory is that if they are cleaned well (I like Citrosolve (sp?) with a good de-greasing soap, and its a vertical surface that gets no "flexing repetition" (door panels, arm rests, and the plastic collar..) all should be good. Murray Fowler first taught me that our vinyl is very durable; (I've used a medium-stiff tire brush and done door panels without a problem; guest bath tub is good and less conspicuous)....SEM has a service to color match to your upholstery in many of their stores; they will match and make three or four spray cans for you. My 2002 (Nevada) is headed to this plan this fall/winter, and same plan for my e9 (polaris)...so I am biased. Good luck with whatever you decide. Or you could paint the car...:)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i had a sahara bavaria and it had a tan interior. i can very much relate to the beigeness of it all. i always loved the tobacco interior that i saw on a dark green 2800 bavaria (agave perhaps). always thought that light brown or as dang suggested, a darker saddle tan. i don't think red or blue would look good with sahara ... black maybe,

what i would do is to buy the different colors of med / dark tan from SEM color coat ... find the one you like the most ... then find the leather / vinyl to match it. i sold the tan interior for my coupe and bought blue door panels and scheel mann seats. i painted the door panels satin black and that came out great. here's the second part of the recommendation - darken the tan of the interior and go to a deeper color carpet - even black ... then but black / tan coco mats on top.