UK Gp2 3.5 CSL Batmobile Build

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a great choice of livery indeed. It works surprisingly well on the coupe. But that artwork must have taken a ton of work to apply on that car. That is really impressive.

Well done!

Last edited:

foxworth

Reaction score
Cheers for the comments ! We opted for vinyl rather than paint since it's a) more economical based on the time needed and b) easier in the future if I ever have a shunt in it. It was in with the graphics guys for nearly a week!!

Last edited:

foxworth

Reaction score
Hi All,

has been a while since I updated on here. A lot has progressed but the car is still on jack stands! It is now back at home with me doing some bits myself, and contracting out the bits that I don't have the skills for. Will take a bit longer but is easier to manage when close to me.

- engine is done and ready to drop in. Ended up with a 330hp 3.5 from Lester Owen & team. Cannot wait to drop it in and fire it up. (see pic!)
- suspension and brakes are done bar the rear shocks which are still WIP and waiting for some strengthening work to the rear turrets to be done.
- then it's details details details to get each piece done.

Need to take some updated pics and will post as I go.

cheers

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
just read the thread.... nice build !
Can you please tell some more about the engine ? 3.5l and webers.... 330 HP ? Torque ?

foxworth

Reaction score
yes sure! I'll dyno it once it's in and ready for setup. 330hp and 300lbsft was the figure at test if I recall. Not too bothered by the absolute figures, I trust that a quality build gives quality power. I also want to respect that it's a stock bmw crank so limit will be ~7k rpm.

- 3.5L M90 L Block, 84mm crank
- machined and ported head from the original M30 3.2 with modified valve seats / guides
- Dry sump
- Arrow rods
- CP pistons
- Race springs
- Steel rockers
- 11.0 compression
- 45 DCOE Webers reworked to 48mm (an LH mod that's better than the Weber 48 bought off the shelf)

cheers!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
wow, if you ever dyno it , please give a pic of the sheet ! 330 HP and 400 NM …. impressive . Wonder how they do it.

Few years back i bought a new ! '86 3.5l M30 ( still had the factory stickers on it , was all those years on display in a tech school) , we renewed all gaskets, schrick cam , Schnitzer headers and webers 45 . Dyno gave 210 HP and only 240 NM... so less torque of a oem injection setup.... then i had read that the intake runners are to short with just the Webers.... so we fabricated longer inlet tubes into a air box on which i could connect a air filter. And yes, HP was the same but we had again 300 NM as oem.

Wish i had your #'s :D

SAM_2638.JPG

foxworth

Reaction score
Good pics that looks like a serious setup!!

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxworth

Reaction score
Hey Piers, exciting stuff.

What header are you using?

Hi Callum - hoping to use the set I have that were sourced a long while back (pictured). The shell has a custom channel cut in the floor on the passenger side, but it's quite narrow so there could be a lot of trial and error once the engine is in!

From there I'm hoping to have two options - one pipe that is minimal with perhaps a single silencer, then a version with as much silencing as I can get so I can use the car on test/track days without getting black flagged! Hoping to be able to switch between the two easily enough depending on needs. I have seen the exhaust systems with electronic valves which are great but a lot of weight to carry around if racing and silencing 'optional'

cheers
piers

foxworth

Reaction score
I'm currently having the rear shock setup specced and in parallel having a local firm make some rear turret inserts for me. Even with the cage tied to them I'm not confident the stock rear turrets will carry the spring/shock without punching through the top. Local fabricator has been in with this tube 5-6 times now, taking 1mm out of the circumference at a time. We finally found a fit Saturday morn so can now cut to size, weld on a nice strong top ready for the shock to bolt into. The bottom of the tube will have a disc that welds to the underside of the arch. All stuff I should have done at the time the shell was being built, but hey, live and learn and it's not too much of a biggie now I've found a good guy for the job.

foxworth

Reaction score
3.64 rebuilt LSD
New SKF bearings and seals throughout.
Output flanges machined and built with additional bearing each side
Uprated to 75%
45 degree ramp angles
Threaded holes in rear for flow/return plus sensor.
Blasted/painted case

That should work!

foxworth

Reaction score
Refurbished driveshafts with strengthened (diff end) CV's. I'm using modified E12 arms on the rear so these are slightly longer M535i units. :D

foxworth

Reaction score
Hi all, has been a while since I last posted but thought I'd add some more pics etc and updates.

Managed to make some good progress since my last post:-

Finished off the boot area with dry sump tank, fuel pumps, fuel tank and battery. Will do wiring etc in one go for the whole car once everything is in its place:-

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_3645.jpeg

Also managed to get the dash setup and drafted into position. Needed to shave some corners to get it in past the cage, but nothing too onerous;-

IMG_3474.jpeg

Dropped the engine in and entered a world of pain with the headers. Initially thought I'd need to compromise and bring the engine forward to allow more room for the headers, but having spoken to some owners of original works cars who confirmed that this was standard practice in period, opted to have the inner arch and chassis leg dressed to give the monster headers some room. It was only last night now that I've got the transmission on and the engine sitting roughly where I wanted it (low and far back) that I'm now able to lock the headers into place. A few pics of the engine in place, car on the deck for the first time in 3 years and the dressed inner arch,

IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4364.jpeg

Engine now nice and low and as far back as I can get it:-

IMG_4489.jpeg

rear strut strengthening work was painstakingly done with an excellent local fabricator so the rear turrets are now virtually indestructible!!!

Mockup of the solution (fully welded all round seams in final install)

IMG_3048.jpeg

Welded into place:-

IMG_3522.jpeg

Final solution with Bilsteins mounted. Adjusted the lower shock mount on the trailing arm to ensure correct angle to turret. Strengthened on internal side:-

IMG_4336.jpeg

265/5 Dogleg fitted:-
741B4796-2922-43E3-AE07-E2E3E45CA4FA.jpg

test fit wheels. So far 10J front, 11J rear, although I think on the rear I maybe able to get to a 6J outer and move to a 12J. Will see:-

IMG_5315.jpeg

Thanks for reading!