UK Gp2 3.5 CSL Batmobile Build

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry, not M90; that's an NA (naturally aspirated) engine. I meant M106. Turbo has much higher HP potential.

foxworth

Reaction score
Update from last week a nice vid showing the shell (eek!).

I took loads of bits from BMW up to the car last week which I was surprised were still available and will save time in fabrication. Also found some ally door skins at W&N which just arrived, so for now, I hope the surprises are behind me and I can concentrate on the build.

Hoping I have found an M90 block/crank too. One question, is the S38B35 crank the same as the M90 crank or is the former uprated? When building a high performance M90 is the standard crank ok or should an uprated/aftermarket one be used?

thanks

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The white CSL seems to have the same spoiler as Shanon was/ is offering for sale!

foxworth

Reaction score
Actually the spoiler is integrated in the bootlid so the bootlid and spoiler are actually one piece!

Selling it as is no longer required PM if interested

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know what the front splitter is on this car? I have seen it before I believe the last time was on a city CSL

Shannon has one for sale now. Made of aluminum. Origins are fuzzy according to the FS thread.

15626014_10211529057128911_746090908520847828_o.jpg

foxworth

Reaction score
The front splitter is part of a '70 bubble arch kit that was on the car when I bought it. Not sure the manufacturer and if i recall is made of aluminium. Again, for sale as no longer planned for use on this car, drop me a pm if interested.

foxworth

Reaction score
Differential was a sideloader 3.64 i believe. I will try to switch to a Getrag 265/5 CR and an old 3.25 LSD from my E30 m3 for starters.

cheers

foxworth

Reaction score
Updated vid and some pics from today's visit to the garage:-

Good progress since last visit in December with a combination of BMW parts and W&N Germany parts to build strength back into the shell;-
- floor raised to accommodate a large side exit exhaust to meet track day regs just in case.
- boot floor done but will be cut out to accommodate fuel cell and other tanks/battery etc
- sills done from top to bottom on both sides with new BMW parts. Ditto for A-pillars as well as front strut top mounts etc (WIP)

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
it totally amazes me how tore up these cars get.
i would never nad know as i bought a 74 w/ zero rust in 89
i guess i was just lucky.

foxworth

Reaction score
OK, here's a March update. All repairs hopefully now behind me, the fun stuff should begin. Visited the car at the cage builder on Friday starting to look much better!!

foxworth

Reaction score
Decision on the cage was to go with Custom cages' MSA approved CSL cage rather than a more modern one tied into front struts etc. Although the latter is obviously a better choice structurally, I want to keep the shell something that if I do ever want to do a bit of racing in the car is more closely aligned with period cages. They will tie the cage into the rear struts and it will tag to the lower b-pillars for strength too.

Am due to hear re the cage progress today so hopefully can get some pics from them!