"Two ways of ruining a BMW E9" - or to each his own is beautiful...

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yea i have no idea what the engine will do
i gues ill find out in a fews weeks
when it gets on the dyno

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For the S38B36, the displacement was increased to 3,535 cc (216 cu in).[5] This was achieved by increasing the stroke by 2 mm (0.1 in) to 86 mm (3.4 in),
S38B36 3,535 cc (215.7 cu in) 232 kW (311 bhp)
@ 6900 rpm 360 N⋅m (266 lb⋅ft)
@ 4750 rpm 1989–1993

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what a joke
literally now one of the fastest coupes on the road
for me, its not about having one of the fastest coupe ... if i want to go fast on any kind of road i will get in the 911 ... for me a coupe is about style, beauty and the love of an open road with hills + sweeping turns. too much speed / power can be a lot of stress for the old coupe suspension + brake technology ... not to mention 45+ year old body ... with or without rust. but that's just me ... YMMV.

tmason

Reaction score
I'm with you Scott! I saw a 04 911 4S 6 speed manual that would be fun to have here in Reno on icy road days like today :)
PS any chance we can have a chart spelling out what YMMV and many others mean for us Old Dudes?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your Mileage May Vary. not sure what you consider old ... i'm about to hit 61, so i don't consider that to be young.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
S38s are awesome! But it seems less hassle to just turbocharge an M30 to get 300+HP? Of course, one would need new pistons, but if needing a rebuild anyways...

Of course, I'd use the banana intake instead of a tarantula:

o.jpg

Rek

Reaction score
I have owned an S38B36 and an S38B38 M5 and would give my right arm to get one of these engines into my E9. Preferably the B36 as I felt it drove better and I believe are stronger.

Unless you have a matching numbers car which you're going to keep in cotton wool and take to concours shows, then anything goes. When restomodding mine the only caveat I had is that the parts must be BMW (or Alpina).

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
RIGHTO
like i said i have no idea what this is going to be like but it will surely be done correctly
as bill is a fanatic on performance and quality can wait to see all the corrections he made
on my wiring

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is very similar to previous discussions on the e30 m3 board ... putting a s52 into an e30 m3 in lieu of the wonderful s14. the value of the e30 with the s14 (original or replacement) is so much more than one with a s52. the thing about putting a 5 speed into a coupe, nobody can tell from a general look. the s38 is certainly a cool engine, but it looks out of place with the individual throttle bodies and the plastic bits on a coupe. just my opinion ...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
this is very similar to previous discussions on the e30 m3 board ... putting a s52 into an e30 m3 in lieu of the wonderful s14. the value of the e30 with the s14 (original or replacement) is so much more than one with a s52. the thing about putting a 5 speed into a coupe, nobody can tell from a general look. the s38 is certainly a cool engine, but it looks out of place with the individual throttle bodies and the plastic bits on a coupe. just my opinion ...

That’s true, I fully agree on the e30 M3.
But shouldn’t the comparison be made by putting a S52 in an e30 318/320/325i instead, since we aren’t discussing e9 CSL motor swaps.
I think 99,8% agrees that swapping engines in a CSL would be a bad idea.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed, that swap would not be on my list although my 74 2002 with the S14 swap is the bomb. My 2800 has value as a nicely restored car and I dont think that a VERY well done S38 swap will hurt it. My S38 doesn't have all the plastic on it with exception of the spark plug wires which I kind of appreciate keeping the top side clean looking. I look at the ITBs as just the next generation of the side draft Webers, but without the finickiness(wd?)