"Two ways of ruining a BMW E9" - or to each his own is beautiful...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would not say that blue hardtop, S38-monster was "ruined." Unless it was a true CSL.

700HP would be quite fun as long as it had reinforcements done and done tastefully.

I like that 'vert too except the interior mods, which are reversible. But all that wiring/electrical...that would be hard to undo. A lot to rip out.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like that 'vert too except the interior mods, which are reversible...

I think putting a hard top back on that car would be much easier than fixing all the rust on cars we've seen here lately...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, don’t care for either one, I know I’m in the minority though.

I don’t like them either. I don’t have any desire to have an s38 e9. The e9 lines are lost in convertible form. An advisory article on the author’s opinion of “tasteful modifications” is a bit pointless, and quite predictable IMO. One could easily recycle this article for every popular classic on the market.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
right along with you Chris ... i know i am less concerned with originality than many ... and i once thought about an s38 in a coupe, but those days are long gone. i consider a lot of what was done to these coupes as 'tasteless' modifications

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess I'm not welcome here anymore , Ill cut up any car . , I like to experiment
well Brendan, i have seen the car that you are building and i think its just a wee bit different than these things. and yours is being built as a street legal race car. with the s54 in it, fender flares along with radical transformations to the suspension so that it can handle the power that you have dropped in it ... yes there is the custom flooring. you didn't rip the roof off and put a weird interior in it. somehow i have to wonder if the 700 hp with the massive turbo can really put the power onto the ground and keep it there. it doesn't go into the modifications, but using up CSL aluminum body stuff on a car like that - questionable.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd love to have that S38 turbo E9, I don't see how it ruins the car, it's easy to put back the M30 at a later point if no major modifications were made to the body.
And the CSL aluminium panels aren't used up, they still exist and looks fine? ;)

Philippe db

Reaction score

I don't think you are Chris, even for free I would think twice before putting such cars in my garage.

I learned my lesson very young. Once transferred my second car, a VW Beetle 1303S, in to a Porsche 911 look a like. This not only ruined my wallet but also the car.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd love to have that S38 turbo E9, I don't see how it ruins the car, it's easy to put back the M30 at a later point if no major modifications were made to the body.
And the CSL aluminium panels aren't used up, they still exist and looks fine? ;)
you do have to make some changes to the engine compartment to put the s38 into the coupe. my point about CSL aluminum panels is that they aren't available for anybody restoring a CSL and is in need of true CSL parts.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
you do have to make some changes to the engine compartment to put the s38 into the coupe. my point about CSL aluminum panels is that they aren't available for anybody restoring a CSL and is in need of true CSL parts.

While that might be true, I don’t consider some small changes to the engine compartment to ruin a solid, nice, clean looking e9.
I get the point about the aluminium panels, but still, I don’t see how anybody who happens to have CSL panels owe any owners of a real CSL anything. I’m sure they are for sale if the price is right.

It’s just my opinion:)

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the simple fact that these original engines are a joke for the size and weight of the vehicle
hence when mine needed a complete rebuild. i started looking for options
originally i was going be a purist and bring my orig to 3.3 then i
was lucky enuff to find a hand built , by a true 80 yr old legend, 11:1 compression s38.
how could i refuse at 10k , when it was worth 23k at the least.
therein lies the so called ruining of my car
what a joke
literally now one of the fastest coupes on the road
w/ an 85 5sp overdrive and a 3:64 posi
ROCK AND ROLL tortaklo

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
uhmm ... ehrrr ... 'on the road'? or will be on the road once somebody gets the fuel delivery sorted? will be curious how 11:1 on 91 octane pump gas works for you.

tmason

Reaction score
Not sure about 700hp in a unibody car? if I could do a Euro 3.5 with headers + aluminum radiator this would be enough power for my skill level.