Turn signal repair

Bwana

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Looks like the original design has the phenolic back plate held in by crimping/denting the garbage metal fitting. After 41 years the crimp finally failed.

P7260308_zpsee560ad0.jpg

So how do I keep it in place? I don't want to dent the housing for fear of breaking it. Epoxy? Will this back plate ever be removed? You can see the crimp in this picture

P7260304_zpsd59d94de.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
So how do I keep it in place? ..... Epoxy? Will this back plate ever be removed?

I would try epoxy, yes. In the unlikely event that you need to disassemble it, you could scrape off the epoxy. The original crimped design wasn't intended to be disassembled either.

Stefan

Reaction score
Is the housing cracked according to the yellow tape? Why not press the housing together with a small hose clamp to keep the bakelite in place? Just thinking loud now :)

Bwana

Reaction score
Is the housing cracked according to the yellow tape? Why not press the housing together with a small hose clamp to keep the bakelite in place? Just thinking loud now :)

Yellow tape?? :oops: Totally missed that, duh! No, took it off and no cracks. I wonder if it's 40 year old tape? Still sticky underneath. Don't know why it's there.

Yes, a hose clamp would work but I'd have to slot the fixture with a Dremel tool or something. Not worth it

Well, the epoxy worked but I almost glued the spring loaded base to the wall of the fixture. Whoops! Cleaned it out while the epoxy set, all's well now. And the interior dash light works again!

Stefan

Reaction score
Yellow tape?? :oops: Totally missed that, duh! No, took it off and no cracks. I wonder if it's 40 year old tape? Still sticky underneath. Don't know why it's there.

Yes, a hose clamp would work but I'd have to slot the fixture with a Dremel tool or something. Not worth it

Well, the epoxy worked but I almost glued the spring loaded base to the wall of the fixture. Whoops! Cleaned it out while the epoxy set, all's well now. And the interior dash light works again!

Use your well functioned turn signal to inspire all of the other drivers how/why to use it!
:)

lloyd

Reaction score

I've had occasional success salvaging pot metal with silver solder or some other appropriate alloy. I would think you could press fit things and make a lip/edge with the solder as a permanent solution.

Except for the introduction of heat, probably as strong/reliable as the epoxy. :?

Something like this?

SolderPaste.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO

i woud not use adhesives, vibrations will make then fail, i would go for a mechanical solution

stefan, it is too thick for a hose clamp, IMHO

try to repeat the original procedure, you may use a flat screwdriver to make the dents

otherwise i woud consider making a couple of tiny holes aligned on the top of the cylinder and then introduce the part and place a plastic strap as a retainer, it can not be a cable or wire unless you electrically protect it,

making three holes positoned 120 degrees around the circle would be even better

if you do not feel like making those holes, you can combine the stefan's hose clamp to elongate the cylinder and proceed there then