Trunk Hinge Removal

e30strube

Reaction score
One of my trunk hinges needs to be replaced. Is there a special trick for removing the "springs (rod going between the two hinges)" attached to both sides? Or is it just as simple as removing the three bolts on each hinge and removing both sides at the same time. I was reluctant to do so and have the rod end twist.

Reaction score
One of my trunk hinges needs to be replaced. Is there a special trick for removing the "springs (rod going between the two hinges)" attached to both sides? Or is it just as simple as removing the three bolts on each hinge and removing both sides at the same time. I was reluctant to do so and have the rod end twist.

You can unbolt the bolts and carful pushbout of place. There is a fair amount of tension. I have a couple rods for sale if needed.

lloyd

Reaction score
Can't offer much advice on reinstallation of the trunk torsion springs. Last installation was on 2002, and for did not seem much of a problem, but maybe luck had something to do with it. Curiously, I recall someone who struggled with similar torsion and became so frustrated that he adapted hinges and springs from his parts bin. I can't remember what they were from but they looked something like this:

tlh3.jpg

On a semi-related note, I was recently asked about the physical differences between the trunk hinges used on the E3 versus those on for the E9. I'm certain they are different and carry different part numbers.

Reason for the question? The owner's body shop couldn't align the trunk lid. I suggested that the problem could be with the hinge adjustment. Now it turns out the two already painted hinges are not the same. I suspect one is from the E3 and maybe the other is from an E9, although it could be from another BMW. Owner does not know which one is which.

Anyone have any images of the two hinges back to back? Are there other hinges that might be interchangeable or easily made to work?

bmw_e3_trunk_carpet_2.jpg

bmw-e9-trunk-1200x800.jpg

bmw_e9_trunk_carpet_3.jpg

lloyd

Reaction score
Yes, e3 is very different
Thank you for your response. I am informed that the hinges on the subject vehicle look the same or are similar to those found on the coupe, but one is apparently longer with a slightly larger radius than the other. I am not close to the vehicle, but have asked for photos, which I would share - if they are sent. A quick search of Realoem indicates the coupe hinge is pn 41615780120 for both sides. This would not account for different sized hinges, but maybe one hinge was "hand built" or massaged over the years?