Triple sidedrafts - last carb running bad (video)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ultimately you'll need to recurve it because you will be also increasing your all-in advance amount which could be trouble. This is the beauty of the 123ignition distributor, it can be "recurved" in 5 minutes in any imaginable way. Which for the webers would be a steeper initial advance curve but still maxing out at 35 or so without fear of detonation.

For example if your current distributor is set at 8 degrees advance at idle, 35 all in, if you turn the advance to 15 degrees at idle, your all in goes to 42 which is well above spec.

I use original distributor from -69 (I'm away from the car so can't see a number on it) with new breaker point, cap, rotor and condensator + new wires and plugs. When advancing the ignition, will simply turning the distributor be enough or will it need to be recurved?

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I use original distributor from -69

If that distributor is original and has never been rebuilt, it will certainly not give you very good performance. These dizzys have quite a few wear-points and will develop slop affecting timing at all rpms; most noticeably at lower revs. An easy way to confirm this is to attach your timing light and watch how the timing mark on the lower pulley behaves in the strobe... does it bounce all over the place, or is it steady? If it's bouncing, you will have poor running characteristics. Distributors can be rebuilt and curved for your particular application; but I'm with Steve on the benefits of the 123; I use them and they are a very good piece of equipment.

Here's a quick video from 123Ignition explaining the bouncing timing mark:

Ed

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a distributor that's certainly not in good shape. When I try to time the engine, the flashes are so erratic that it's impossible to see the mark in the window, even after I painted it.
The points were bad when I bought the car, and replacing them with a Pertronix at least got it running. I've managed to find a rebuilt distributor on ebay, a lucky thing since some of the parts needed are apparently NLA. I'll put the Pertronix into the rebuilt one when I install it. If I'd know about the 123 I might have gone for that instead, but for now, I want to keep the car as stock as possible.

Ian

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I respect this as i like originality as much as the next guy but if it's not a garage queen virgin and you're going to drive it any significant amount in my opinion the 123 dizzy is the single best thing you can do ignition-wise to improve performance and reliability. It looks stock except to the trained eye. It's tuneable. It's reversible. Old distributors by now are worn out and they were never that accurate to begin with. This thing is a major advance (no pun intended) in making our engines run like they are capable of.

I've got a distributor that's certainly not in good shape. When I try to time the engine, the flashes are so erratic that it's impossible to see the mark in the window, even after I painted it.
The points were bad when I bought the car, and replacing them with a Pertronix at least got it running. I've managed to find a rebuilt distributor on ebay, a lucky thing since some of the parts needed are apparently NLA. I'll put the Pertronix into the rebuilt one when I install it. If I'd know about the 123 I might have gone for that instead, but for now, I want to keep the car as stock as possible.

Ian