tought to beat (an M3 question)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I simply can't compete with Chris's post (BTW Chris, your psychological issues seem to be healing nicely), but I do have a car related question.. sorry!

I changed the differential fluid in my M3 and then moved to the transmission where I found a sticker that said BMW lifetime lubrication- do not change. Any ideas on this before I disregard the warning that the engineers gave me?

Thanks

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As you know I maintain my cars very well. My '97 M3, to my knowledge has never had it's transmission oil changed. Currently at 95,573 miles.

Dohn

Reaction score
I simply can't compete with Chris's post (BTW Chris, your psychological issues seem to be healing nicely), but I do have a car related question.. sorry!

I changed the differential fluid in my M3 and then moved to the transmission where I found a sticker that said BMW lifetime lubrication- do not change. Any ideas on this before I disregard the warning that the engineers gave me?

Thanks
I always wondered if they meant the car's lifetime or yours... I believe Mike Miller of the Roundel and the late, lamented Bimmer magazine says there is no such thing as lifetime lubrication. Age and use are the primary determinants of replacement time, but 100K to 125K miles would be a good idea.

Dohn

Reaction score

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are a lot of transmissions on the market now that they recommend not changing the oil.

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I put RedLine MTL in my E46 M3 every 30k miles. I think BMW defines lifetime as the warranty period, and the do not change means do not change during the period BMW pays for maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
Over different driving conditions and temperatures, the oil starts losing its viscosity, therefore you will need to change it regardless of the car manufacturer putting a label indicating not to change or "lifetime". 100.000 miles is usually a good time for an oil change, or less if the car visits tracks or is driven hard.

Bwana

Reaction score
Part of my Regular Day Job is tribology. Change the oil! I did an oil analysis (commercial lab work) of the stuff that came out of my e39 540i at about 150,000 miles and it was MAJOR degraded. I'll post the analysis if I can find it. Even without combustion products burning up the additive package, it still degrades over time. I change all my cars transmission oil at about 125,000 miles, it's cheap to do. Also, if you notice, the newer cars have gone back to having drain plugs.

I use the Redline MTL also in my Roadster and used to in my truck. Regular BMW oil for the transmission (automatic). The jury is still out on using ATF in the old Couple 265/5 when it begins to feel stiff. Although automatic transmissions do have actual gears, the oil is also aimed toward what is needed for the friction bands and so may not have the right combo of friction modifiers needed for a manual. I'm still investigating this.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Peter -- just trying to atone to sweet cheeks...

I don't believe there is such a thing as lifetime fluid in a car, at least in terms of how I define lifetime. BMW embraced "lifetime fluid" about the same time they extended their factory maintenance program to 4 years or 50k miles. I think they did this in order to ensure they didn't have to change tranny, dif and I think brake fluid as part of these programs. And it gave them something to tout as being friendly to the environment (along with ever increasing use of plastics where metals should be used, the elimination of spare tires, etc., etc.).

TodB

Reaction score
Hi Peter -- just trying to atone to sweet cheeks...

I don't believe there is such a thing as lifetime fluid in a car, at least in terms of how I define lifetime. BMW embraced "lifetime fluid" about the same time they extended their factory maintenance program to 4 years or 50k miles. I think they did this in order to ensure they didn't have to change tranny, dif and I think brake fluid as part of these programs. And it gave them something to tout as being friendly to the environment (along with ever increasing use of plastics where metals should be used, the elimination of spare tires, etc., etc.).
And it allowed them to remain competitive with other makers from an ongoing maintenance cost point of view also, i.e. longer maintenance windows are cheaper over time. That said, I subscribe to old guy maintenance and fluid schedules though whether or not you change auto tranny fluid in the newer cars is always an interesting debate.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I had my 98 M3, I tried several variations of Lube in it. Tried a couple of Redline recipes, MTL D4, ATF. I found the best feel and gearbox action was with the BMW spec lube.