Tips for replacing front window trim?

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Before I start this and break more stuff than I have to I was wondering if someone has experience of this?

Just remove old one and put the new one in place with a bit of help from silicone and rubber mallet or are there any special tricks? Like where to start from, middle or upper center.

thanks,

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
presumed "window trim" is stated for the aluminium profile in the top of the front window:

i did it this way:

first heat the aluminium part with air gun, 60ºC

take it out removing the old part from the botom, just use a flat scredriver and push, when the first part is out you will remove little by little the rest

then use an steel wire "000" to clean all adhesive rests in the top of the window, this is critical: cristal may crack ! (samll dents i mean)

use the same steel wire to clean the channel of the new alu profile

finally clean both with alcohol 96 and let them dry

i used contact adhesive, in the following way, pour a little line of that adhesive in the bottom of the alu channel, and another tiny line in the top of the glass

wait 5 minutes

put the two parts together and use adhesive tape to make the required pressure of one part to the other, use a cloth to wipe out any excess , clean it thoroughly

wait 12 hours, and voila !

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Many thanks deQuincey, very detailed but I think you are talking about the side windows that have aluminum on top of them?

I meant the trim on the front window, the trim that goes all the way around it and sits in the rubber lining / gasket.

Or is front window a bad term? Maybe windshield is better. Sorry.

But I do need to change the ones on the side windows sooner or later too so that information was great :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You will bend the windshield trim if you pull it out. You really need to cut out the old seal and pull the glass out. Install sequence is to put seal on glass, insert trim, lubricate seal and use a stout cord to pull the seal and glass back onto the body from the inside of the coupe. Maybe more than you want to tackle?

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
HB is correct, if you are not careful. Boyd Fechner taught me how to do this correctly with a tool he made out of an old leaf spring. Essentially, you want a flat, slightly curved prying tool without any sharp edges to mar the trim or adjacent paint. Starting at one of the clip ends of the trim, very gently begin to pry the trim out of the seal, about 1/8'" at a time. Work you way around the seal several times until the entire piece is ready to come out of the rubber at the same time. Goal is not put any sort of bend on the trim. Also use something soft, a rag or mouse pad, so that you do not mar the paint or scratch the glass. Patience is the key here, take your time.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Many thanks deQuincey, very detailed but I think you are talking about the side windows that have aluminum on top of them?

I meant the trim on the front window, the trim that goes all the way around it and sits in the rubber lining / gasket.

Or is front window a bad term? Maybe windshield is better. Sorry.

But I do need to change the ones on the side windows sooner or later too so that information was great :)

yeah, i made a mistake in understanding your target

anyway if it is useful for you anytime ahead, it is ok, note: of course you will destroy the old alu profile if you do this way, but you will save the glass, that i presume is of more interest

regarding the windshiled glass i have no experience, sorry, but i have heard is a difficult task, so patience is key !

best of luck !, and if possible share your experience and complete it with good pics

regards

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Thx all. I am replacing so I do not really care about the old one.

It got damaged when I cleaned off my engine, the fluid stained the chrome badly. Only that one, no other chrome took any damage. Odd. But it was replaced by a W&N one maybe 5-6 years back. Maybe they use another method. Oh and the front side grills too. Also W&N...
I was using a diluted rim wash that was recommended to me.

Anyways, the existing one came off very easily but if I have to remove the window to install the new one I will have somebody who knows what they are doing do that as I do not want to damage it. It is almost new.

echappe

Reaction score
I recently had the glass in my 2002 replaced and watched the glass shop install the trim,
liberal amounts of a white soap type lubricant was smeared into the track and on the trim and a hard nylon "popsicle stick" was used to push the trim into the groove.
Ernest

Phemisg

Reaction score
window trim

I called the pros to remove and replace windshield. $150 Re/Re. As described previous, entire window/seal/trim was asssembled first and installed as one piece with rope and judicous thumping. As for removal, its difficult to get the trim out first without bending it. Soaking in soapy water or silicone spray might help, but it's in there pretty tight. If you want to save trim and window, consider cutting seal and just replacing it. That way, two people can lift out the remains quite easily. That's the cheapest way, and you get a new seal.

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Thanks guys, a few different ways to go were suggested and I will follow the path of least resistance and ask a shop for the cost.

I will also try to put th eold one back and see how it works, with some soap and something softish to push with.