Thinner E9 radiator?

COUPE9

Reaction score
A while back, I added a clutched fan to my coupe, and now (under braking), the fan SLIGHTLY grazes the center seam on the OEM radiator. It's only a matter of time until I shatter the fan, and blades go through the hood... ...maybe not THAT bad, but you get the idea. I was thinking about replacing the motor mounts (in case they're a bit loose, and allowing the engine to shift more than normal), but was also looking to drop a new thinner radiator into it. Would love any insight on what to purchase (and from whom). Thanks in advance!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There should be a clip on the fan nut to prevent the fan from coming loose. wonder if your fan is missing the clip.

I have a triple core radiator which is the same thickness as the stock radiator. If anything you want to increase the cooling capacity not decrease it.

Do you know when the the last time the engine mounts were replaced?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
It seems to me like you've opened up a can of worms with the fan. Perhaps taking a step backward would be better. How about a fan that doesn't come so close to the radiator?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If your motor mounts are questionable, change them. They are relatively cheap.

Check the four rubber mounts for the radiator and make sure they are intact, and while looking at the upper mount on the right side, make sure the bracket on the right side is not loose. The radiator should not be easy to move by hand.

I happen to have a thinner radiator, but I can't point you to a vendor. I bought the radiator from SFDon who bought a vendor's entire inventory and sold off the excess, including mine.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about customizing the radiator rubber? Takes 5 minutes...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pic for you to offset radiator forward
FFDFE739-81AB-4A33-A0CE-39F5A3762926.jpeg
9B626740-3962-406C-A15E-D104DD79F17A.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
It's more complicated than just rubber mount cut, but fan mount, part that goes into the fan clutch can be also resurfaced couple mm in marked areas; after resurfacing it will go deeper inside.
s-l500.jpg

m_thompson

Reaction score
It's more complicated than just rubber mount cut, but fan mount, part that goes into the fan clutch can be also resurfaced couple mm in marked areas; after resurfacing it will go deeper inside.

That is on my to-do list to get a little more clearance.

tochi

Reaction score
A while back, I added a clutched fan to my coupe, and now (under braking), the fan SLIGHTLY grazes the center seam on the OEM radiator. It's only a matter of time until I shatter the fan, and blades go through the hood... ...maybe not THAT bad, but you get the idea. I was thinking about replacing the motor mounts (in case they're a bit loose, and allowing the engine to shift more than normal), but was also looking to drop a new thinner radiator into it. Would love any insight on what to purchase (and from whom). Thanks in advance!

In addition to the motor mounts, the transmission mount can be equally important to avoiding fan-to-rad contact. This subject has been indirectly discussed in other threads, e.g., https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/edges-of-fan-are-torn-up-and-radiator-not-looking-to-good.31458/

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 85338

i did this some years ago,....

see posts #27 and #47

this is how it looks like, RH original, LH modified

1580899436137.png

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drew - I have also been able to get a little more space by having the radiator core soldered as far forward on the side tanks as they will go.