thickness of wood veneer

Jeff

Reaction score
I'm going to try to take my dash apart this week, but I want to go look at some wood veneers this weekend. What thickness should I buy? Thanks. Jeff

shanon

Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure what's available in your parts, but I think most veneers are about 1/16" or less.
Better woodworking supply houses will stock them in flat files.

Dash removal is a very tedious process, be patient. But reinstalling 'fresh wood' is a very satisfiying and visual treat.

Good luck!
-shanon

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Its much thinner than that. More like a thick sheet of paper. I think its standard for most veneers. I used French Walnut if I remember correctly....

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The veneer that I got from joewoodworker.com mikes out at 0.022". This is for both the quilted maple in front, and the birdseye maple backer. It is a good idea to use a backer (on the back face of the panel) as the new veneer on the front side, alone, will bow the panel, making it more difficult to fit. This does mean, however, that you have to remove a layer from the back, too.

Honolulu

Reaction score
most veneer

most veneer is 1/40" thick, but I don't know whether this accounts for the style which has a paper/felty backing. At any rate, the addition of a backing won't make much difference.

A bigger question is, how do you plan to attach the new veneer? I have read of various methods, but from where I come from, vacuum bagging would be my choice. Then adhesive choices range from contact cement to yellow wood glue, one or another Titebond, epoxy...