These Wheels on a Bavaria?

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Thanks guys. New to the E3. Do not want to get into swapping wheel studs. I have at least 8MM of stud past my lug nuts so they should work.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Picked up a set of 15" E34 basketweaves with 215-60 tires. They fit very well. The front tire has 7MM clearance from the strut tube and the tie rod has even better clearance. I have not tried turning the steering lock to lock, but otherwise, lip clearance seems a non-issue. 215/60/15 is almost the same diameter of stock 195/70/14 to boot.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the way these steel wheels look, but not sure that they'd fit. I'm clueless when it comes to backspacing, etc.

https://www.corsasteelies.com/product-page/bmw-e28-gt-series

wait. $200 per wheel for steelies?
I'd have to do some measuring, but i think the biggest backspace you can do on a 16" wheel is about 4.5" in the front.
16x8 wheel with et16 is about 1mm off the strut. 16mm over the midpoint of a 8in wheel is roughly 4.7in.

check out diamondracingwheels.com/ more choices for about 1/2 the price

mtiger_dds

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd have to do some measuring, but i think the biggest backspace you can do on a 16" wheel is about 4.5" in the front.
16x8 wheel with et16 is about 1mm off the strut. 16mm over the midpoint of a 8in wheel is roughly 4.7in.

Backspacing on the 16x8 range from 5-6 inches from Corsa.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

That sounds about right. My 17’s (on my e9) are about 4.66”, with a 3mm spacer and 17’s have more room to clear the strut. I don’t see these 8” steel wheels working well unfortunarely.

G-Man

Reaction score
E36 wheels have the wrong offset (ET 47) for a E3. Find the same wheels with a much lower offset (ET 20-22) that came on an E34.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
I am looking at a set of wheels that are 15x7 with a ET25. Will these fit the E3?

Thanks!!

Bill P.

1575235041791.png

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
They should fit without any modifications.

Hi Markos,
Thank you! I am going to lower the vehicle with sport springs (~1.25"). Do you know if this will get in the way of wheels this size and ET? Would an ET closer to 11 or 15 work better?
Seems to me the bore diameter is about 72-73 mm; does this sound familiar?

Thanks again!

Regards
Bill P.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
I am looking at a set of wheels that are 15x7 with a ET25. Will these fit the E3?

Thanks!!

Bill P.
Hey, just a heads up, if you're buying those wheels from "Powder wheels" (looks like his pics) there have been some issues with the seller. just make sure you have the ability to cancel or get a refund if he starts jerking you around on delivery time.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, just a heads up, if you're buying those wheels from "Powder wheels" (looks like his pics) there have been some issues with the seller. just make sure you have the ability to cancel or get a refund if he starts jerking you around on delivery time.

Hi duct-tape,
Thank you for the heads up!! It is certainly appreciated especially with HB Chris's support. I would have to exhaust all options in North America before ordering wheels all the way from Hungary. I am sure they are as good as they look but managing any issues with shipping, fitment or warranty would probably prove challenging.

Ps. Anyone know what BMW/BBS style these are!? I prefer no centre cap.

1575747369544.png

All the best,
Bill P.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill, those are BBS RX wheels. i had a set on my e30 m3. they are great wheels. they come in a couple of ET sizes. i think 13 and 20 in the 5 x 120 bolt pattern. its been 12 or so years since i had those wheels so i don't remember exactly

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the RX on bavaria. in my opinion they are too modern.
you can find style 4 or style 5 wheels on FB marketplace for really good prices.
I paid 180 for mine and see them all the time in the 3-500 range

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while i tend to agree with you on the modern look ... too modern? here is a pic of a coupe with them.
blue coupe - bbs rx.jpg

these are a BMW wheel ... similar to BBS that look similar + less expensive
coupe - 3 series wheels.jpg

an affordable wheel is the style 5 wheel. you can still buy them new for 235 or so plus caps ... but they are covered.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
while i tend to agree with you on the modern look ... too modern? here is a pic of a coupe with them.
View attachment 82927

these are a BMW wheel ... similar to BBS that look similar + less expensive
View attachment 82928

an affordable wheel is the style 5 wheel. you can still buy them new for 235 or so plus caps ... but they are covered.

I had them in 15” on my coupe until I recently downsized back to the less modern 14” Alpina's. They are available and still mounted to 205’s with lot’s of tread life if anyone is interested.

5704B6FF-2705-4367-930E-A90E309A8590.jpeg