These Wheels on a Bavaria?

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on these E36 wheels on a bavaria? Think they'd look good? Do they fit? I haven't looked into it any further than this picture...they seem like they would sit inboard too much.
E36 wheels.jpg

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ahh, yes, the style 5's look really great. Thanks for the feedback, guys!
-Stephen

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just looked around on eBay and saw that there are different sizes and years of them...are the 7x15 from the 80's/90's the best look or the 17's? 17's seem like they'd be too big...the 7x15's I saw look different than yours, milwakeesk..

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just looked around on eBay and saw that there are different sizes and years of them...are the 7x15 from the 80's/90's the best look or the 17's? 17's seem like they'd be too big...the 7x15's I saw look different than yours, milwakeesk..

The styles represent the overall look and each one has a variety of sizes and offsets. The style 5's the most recommend are 17" from an e39. The 17's don't look bad at all but you have to be comfortable with the look.

The wheel that you spotted are Style 32's. The ones on the e39 are a more appropriate offset for an e3, but they are 17" as well. You can get them staggered with 9" rears.

Drew has a set of style 32's along with a set of Style 5's.

E3Style32.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m running 17x8 style 5’s with 235’s at all four corners. I have a 3mm front spacer but 1mm would have been better.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My opinion is 16" wheels look the best on E9's and E3's. That said, we just got in a scrap 528i with style 5's so I may have to eat my words.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My opinion is 16" wheels look the best on E9's and E3's. That said, we just got in a scrap 528i with style 5's so I may have to eat my words.

I really want to say that I don't like Style 5's, but they look very good on e3's and e9's. More so in person than in pictures.

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_20180304_114022012.jpg
I have 16x8 one-piece style 5 on mine.
Ignore the stance. All 4 struts are blown. Lol

I'd really like borbet B.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 46808 I have 16x8 one-piece style 5 on mine.
Ignore the stance. All 4 struts are blown. Lol

I'd really like borbet B.

I like the 16's...I don't think I'd go any bigger for myself...I was also thinking about old school steel wheels for a chevy...paint same as the car (polaris) at maybe 15x7 or 8 with 215 or 225's on them...kind of a blend of period correct american hot rod meets german elegance...everything else stock looking..(except lowering a bit, of course)...

like this: 15x8 4.25" backspace....thoughts? :)
Steelies.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

This is still my default favorite wheel of all time. I like other wheels because they are "correct" or "interesting", but BBS RS are the prettiest. Style 5's (RC090's) were a bit ruined for me when a friend said that he didn't like the 1990's style lip on them. After that I couldn't unsee it. In all fairness, the period correct two piece Alpina wheels have a very similar lip to RC090's.

Call me crazy but short of Alpinas, the original option turbines look awesome on an E3. Take a peek at my resto

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/three-years-and-300-hours-later.14363/

20 spoke wheels look great on the e3 and e9. There is a set for sale in Alabama at the moment for $400. I believe that @Bmwphatpat may also have a set from the e3 he is parting.

I'm guilty as charged, but the one thing I don't like about 20 spokes is the lack of uniqueness. For instance, watch this video from Monterrey and count how many of the e9's are sporting some type of Alpina variant:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just got word that the 528i we got in is indeed a scrap car so I will be using the style 5's on my E3. Oh darn. Or maybe I'll use those open lug Alpinas I got on that 7-series. Man, these first-world problems are sooo hard.

Bavman

Reaction score
Style 5's are available in 15x7 et20 from e34's and e32's...16x8 ET20 from e38's and 17x8 et28 from e39's...The 17's are true 2 piece wheels. The e36/46 wheels have too much offset. There is also the 17x8/9 staggered 20 spoke wheels from the 540i Sport package...Also pictured 15x7 OZ Fittipaldi ET20

I have sets of all of the above. If interested you can email me at [email protected] I am located NC 27305 so shipping wheels west of the Miss does not really make sense.

Thanks\

Al Taylor
540 wheel.jpg
OZ 15.jpg
style 5 17x9.jpg

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I were going for "proper" alpinas, I'd have to have the valveless ones.

I regret selling my HRE fins, they were 22 spoke 2 piece alpina style.