These People Seem Nice

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Long time listener; first time caller. Perhaps not my smartest move, but I bought a 1974 BMW 3.0CS. It is very green and was discussed here because it was auctioned on Bring-A-Trailer.

Why yes, I did buy it without a PPI, which I've arranged multiple times w/o a thought in my other never-ending quest for the right 16V Scirocco - cars valued at a fraction of this wonderful thing. And this car had no records or verifiable history. But within 2 days I'm wiring money to someone I've never met and consoling my wife. So, I'm rightfully prepared to suffer the slings and arrows for losing my mind. Please take some pity on me, because I've been on the parts sites for the first time and spent $120 just for the shifter refresh bits, like bushes cups, & washers and $50 for the missing horn buttons and contacts. Anybody have a radiator?

But dang, I can't stop walking to the garage for a peek and a giggle.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
welcome, seems to me you have just the right amount of whimsey to survive what you have just taken on. :rolleyes: I am sure a radiator will appear momentarily, but of course that will lead to new water pump, tstat, coolant flush, hoses, surprises.......

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks. Seller was good to work with and super attentive with paperwork follow-up--even shipped from Dallas to OKC free. Of course, he was still a dealer flipping, so my expectations were tempered accordingly. Here's the link to the auction https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-3-0cs-6/ (I was the guy they complained in the comments about disappearing.)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
welcome, seems to me you have just the right amount of whimsey to survive what you have just taken on. :rolleyes: I am sure a radiator will appear momentarily, but of course that will lead to new water pump, tstat, coolant flush, hoses, surprises.......

The car is a mystery in many ways. So far found some good surprises and some not-so-good. Nothing too frightening. Working theory is it sat for a long time and someone picked it out of an estate, garage or warehouse and did enough to get it in shape to sell. Engine is strong like "old" bull, but lots to clean up and refresh before a real assessment can be done. I can't even see the engine number due to so much schmutz and rust protectant overspray. Suspension needs similar attention to bushings and connections. No way I'm looking under the rocker covers until initial sorting is done. It will stay green and a driver, regardless.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome, Jay! Yes, your car was discussed at length during the auction - and I still think it is a sharp! Was going to post the radiator that Steve just did above - he beat me to it. Is the radiator leaking or clogged? Or just the fins bent up beyond reasonable aesthetic and performance expectations? Just curious as mine has raised suspicion a few times but every time I am convinced I should pull it, it seems to behave and I postpone...

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Appreciate Steve and you on radiator. It is leaking, fins are roached, one likely puncture with shaky repair, etc. But Temp is holding well, unless I idle for a significant time. I had seen that radiator but was a bit wary w/o some review. So, big thanks. I’ll get mine re-cored and refurbished, but need something as I chase other rabbit trails. That fits the bill perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Jay -- Welcome to the obsession. The Hack Mechanic recommends replacing the entire cooling system as one of the first things to do when buying an old car that you would like to make reliable. See here: https://smile.amazon.com/Memoirs-Ha...519406374&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hach+mechanic Note that Rob is one of us.

Also, my response to folks who question whether it was smart to purchase one of these cars is that a man with passion about something lives a much better life than a man without.

jmackro

Reaction score
It is leaking, fins are roached, one likely puncture with shaky repair, etc. But Temp is holding well, unless I idle for a significant time. I had seen that radiator but was a bit wary w/o some review. So, big thanks. I’ll get mine re-cored and refurbished, but need something as I chase other rabbit trails. That fits the bill perfectly.

No, get a new radiator - they are readily available and you don't want to risk over-heating. For some reason, e9 radiators are short-lived. Last time I took one to a radiator shop for a quote on re-coring, they advised replacing rather than repairing when I told them the price of a new one.

Welcome to the forum! We need more Jays.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
people had good luck with aluminum (paint it black if it bothers you looking non-oem) either on Ireland Engineering site or ebay.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The aluminum one I posted will require shimmimg at the brackets to hold it snug (I cut a small piece off an old radiator hose to fit) but no big deal. I painted the frame of mine to make it look a little more stock. They also have bosses to screw in temp senders. So light you only need 2 fingers to remove.

E89ydu5Lxexobhr2mk1Sv6IGEO6SW9MZpoDdftXH5ZbeDNw0LXZCFIssV48DTXmgbnkUxGLZ13v7X6cVBUs8IGA2zLCn1Sben6L7I4D7xgBYnor2NjJwGepRqWqu2Y7rms7FU82ae_ez84AEIcSLYJRzYQ__njqSSRBe5PikaVHuVCbPCVtdMlFA0uo8yoTC2fyr3ggqpW-e1w1F7w3ZjS4QwTdPKWBX05-IKqf4JQ56JLy-xOxo3Qzfp6owpIF0n5wSDLBvSre3mkfSdRmw2uy6ww0FyQdYpTuyjGuLv5s_U60K8RqOQg3_QZgDDMspU7SPwyVd4B3J0B9yzT5aKxxYVJPnNSkS5LpuCpECGtNx0csAFPYU-uVf7Qz0VR-tTfpp3-HxQUT_VzuHJcMwKxWlqxkYIWGfFVloFYKG-b3BKUlUEZvOtfDGg4CyvDbp4ZN-k1PazSq4gzATfzR3cB03i6x902wrNGp81633liTVCe6KwHy1Lc6ySNM8DGqgW1aE2w-dxffhNhiRYiKpJTYSXMrQZmiAKLqayCpTzvSzSOhNwK6NMthsM2IAkJc6REDoZSJ-hK5lcnGD0oL52A0HbCl2LGa8u56IQ-U=w868-h651-no

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jay! Congrats on your new purchase. I thought that this car looks stunning!

FYI - you may want to shoot @Tony.dreamer a PM. He is in your neck of the woods.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
That colour alone would have been enough motivation for me. I have never seen Jade on an E9 or even a 2002. It looks absolutely stunning and that tan leather interior contrasts perfectly.
Well bought.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That colour alone would have been enough motivation for me. I have never seen Jade on an E9 or even a 2002. It looks absolutely stunning and that tan leather interior contrasts perfectly.
Well bought.
Yours is the most beautiful four-door BMW ever built and in my favorite color. Some feel Bavarias were better balanced than stock coupes, and I remember my first twistee in my 74 in 1982. Felt like a two seater. No one will take pity on you 'cause we have all been there. And none needed. Steve

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yours is the most beautiful four-door BMW ever built and in my favorite color. Some feel Bavarias were better balanced than stock coupes, and I remember my first twistee in my 74 in 1982. Felt like a two seater. No one will take pity on you 'cause we have all been there. And none needed. Steve
IGNORE MY SENIOR MOMENT POST ABOVE. WHY I THOUGHT YOU BOUGHT A BAVARIA IS COMPLETELY BEYOND ME. SOME CROSSED WIRES.