The secret life of Al Taylor

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of you already know this but Bavman (Al Taylor) is apparently a big deal in the vintage Alfa crowd. I presume it's for his ability to source vintage parts. I think he might also race vintage Alfas.

I was looking at another Alfa race car (Giulia Super , the Italian contemporary to a TISA), and saw that Al had a hand in the making of this car.

John

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most of you already know this but Bavman (Al Taylor) is apparently a big deal in the vintage Alfa crowd. I presume it's for his ability to source vintage parts. I think he might also race vintage Alfas.

I was looking at another Alfa race car (Giulia Super , the Italian contemporary to a TISA), and saw that Al had a hand in the making of this car.

John

Yes, the right honorable Al Taylor, is a man of many talents.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I heard he gave up a white collar job, moved right next door to Virginia International Raceway, and when he's not scrounging parts he lives on the track.

Needless to say, I am jealous.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I heard he gave up a white collar job, moved right next door to Virginia International Raceway, and when he's not scrounging parts he lives on the track.

Needless to say, I am jealous.

any of you guys race against him?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Right Reverend

My Uncle Kempton used to race an M6 in the BMW Club Races at VIR. His co driver in the enduros was "The Right Reverend" Al Taylor.

Kempton also co drove a chump/lemons car with Al and some other guys. AL might have built the car, I am not sure. It was a 500 dollar Alfa Milano sedan with the entire roof cut off. They got a cage from another race car of some sort and just dropped it in from above from what I understand. When the car was not moving, only three wheels touched the ground, they say.

Bavman

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words...I wanted to post a couple of photos, the Alfa was a serious piece of junk, but what is weird is it is still running and competing. The dirt photo is from a 2017 Rallycross. The car finished every LeMons and Chumpcar race entered, ran ECTA land speed records, Alfa Romeo Track days, Has run Rallycross the last 6 years, and for 2018 I plan to do a little circle track bomber racing with it.

I really think the car is haunted, I have never changed the timing belt, shoulda broke years ago.

Kempton was racing with me at a 24 hour race at VIR, we had 3 or 4 youngsters to drive the car all night, Kempton, Bill Hutchins, and Peter Krause had a few malt beverages after 5pm and I think they were really surprised when I came looking for someone to drive at 6am! We were ahead of Tony Stewart by one spot and that had been my goal, to beat him. Peter got in the car after chugging some coffee and the result was he had to come in to pee way before the stint was supposed to be over...think we finished 13th OA..

AL Taylor
alfa.jpg
alfa rllycross.jpg

taylor2800

Reaction score
That Milano is overly prone to throwing its lug nuts. I think we had to switch to 2002 nuts to keep her shoes on. The only Italian abused more on American soil would be Max Papis.

Bavman

Reaction score
Yes! Still ticked about that....bought 15x7 Stil Auto wheels 5x98mm pattern made for the car....was told to use stock nuts but the seat angles were wrong, 2002 Bavaria alloy wheel nuts fixed it, still has a few of those lug nut on there, seemed to be a problem only on one side....Old Alfa had Left Hand Threads on one side, they shoulda kept that up.

Alonzo

Bavman

Reaction score
That Milano is overly prone to throwing its lug nuts. I think we had to switch to 2002 nuts to keep her shoes on. The only Italian abused more on American soil would be Max Papis.
Also, that was the race my sister drank all your Miller Lite, she did you a favor!