The Proof is in the Pudding...

pamp

Reaction score
This morning was like Christmas, as I received a package from Austria. And like a wide eyed child, was amazed by the gifts. Also, like a father...some assembly required.
Although we live half a planet away, Andi and I speak the same language. A love of all things mechanical, mathematics, and especially, family and tradition. There is nothing quite like firing up a vintage machine, be it a steam locomotive, a vintage diesel, or our beloved coupes in fine tune. Had to do a concrete pour in the AM, the product waits for no man, but after hosing down my crew, I went to work on "Siena" a labor of love. Understand the genesis...mechanicals first, then to rust abatement. Interior. The engine bay will be next, although she runs like a thoroughbred. Rough polish on the cross bar only today after the build. Quick and easy. So please excuse the need for detail in my engine bay! The proof is in the pudding as we love to build and improve as we go. And, to have ones work displayed and appreciated by others the true reward.
Thanks again Andi.
Library-5242.jpg

Last edited:

MMercury

Reaction score
Blue hose?

This morning was like Christmas, as I received a package from Austria.
Library-5242.jpg

Hello!

Just curious. I could not help but notice the pretty blue hose connecting the radiator to the expansion tank and the matching coolant. The hose resembles the same silicone based hose usually found connecting the brake fluid reservoir with the master cylinder. If it is the same hose used for the brake reservoir, is it rated for the heat and pressure of the cooling system?

I ask because I recently went looking to replace a similar hose and ended up using fuel hose spliced into the same hard plastic line used from an E23. Strangely enough, the realoem actually lists the hose as being fuel hose. PN 16121180409. (No. 19 in the diagram)

29.png

While at the parts store, an E3 Bavaria pulled up with the same leaking hose. It turned out he was using what looked like ordinary un-reinforced vacuum hose. Without thinking about it, I suggested that if he wanted to avoid the problem, he should plumb the line using copper tubing. He then drove off to a hardware store! I am sure it would work, but maybe its overkill.

I never thought about using the blue hose for the same purpose. How long have you been using it?

Another question from your picture. Are you using an auxiliary air slide valve from another DJet model? It may be an optical illusion, but yours appears different from No. 14, below.

Thanks.
25.png

pamp

Reaction score
Stuff

Mr. Mercury,
You have a sharp eye for detail indeed. The aux air valve is a Volvo bit from my stash of d-jet stuff saved from my 142e/P1800e days. I am inclined to use Volvo stuff when needed. Many cars built as opposed to the E9. I get creative as my car is a driver and no show queen (but she is getting there!) The blue hose in question is "Made in Germany" and would be fine for all applications, replaced in '05 when the expansion tank cracked due to age. I live about two hours from the nearest BMW source, Bimmerparts of Duncan, B.C. Tony is a good guy, and used to have a pretty good stash of E9 bits until a couple of USA guys were wise and cleaned out his inventory. I bought my bumpers from him, '71 2800 CS It was a good shell and he kicks himself for sending it to the crusher to make room in his small yard for newer stuff. Oh well...

MMercury

Reaction score
MMercury,

Simple question! Why aren't you using the standard BMW 8x13mm reinforced water hose?
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=5514&mospid=47206&btnr=17_0037&hg=17&fg=05

The blue brake hose is pretty expensive stuff! Have you priced them lately from the dealer?

Mein Herr, are you referring to MMercury or Pamp?

I questioned Pamp's use of the blue hose.

Fwiw, I have used several different types of hose, including some universal Gates coolant hose.

I find that the hose is always in the way, especially with oil changes - and it has stressed the tube soldered to the radiator. I borrowed the plastic tubing aka "pipe" PN17111120554 (?) from an E23 (Part no 15 in diagram but obviously not to scale). The piping is long enough so that the entire assembly can be rerouted at the same height but against the fender apron. As it works for the 7 and other series, it has worked for a few years on the E9. At present, I think I am using the ends from some fuel injection rated hose because the coolant hose I had went on another project. It seems to work and lessens my concern about uprooting the soldered tube in the "original" radiator.
9.png

FWIW, continued: I have found the blue hose here: http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/n.020.350.1.htm
and it is slightly less expensive than fuel injection rated hose. Few things are "inexpensive." :wink: