The handbrake lever upgrade "plus"

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did anyone else struggle with the install or am I just special!? The damn ratchet mechanism meant i had a real job to keep everything together - in the end I used the bearings but the old pivot so have a less bobbly handbrake!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i assembled the whole unit first then just inserted the pins and bearings after it was in place .
the only issue i had was just aligning the bearing
but i just pushed it around a bit and kept inserting the pin

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The handbrake locking mechanism and button is what makes it so hard.
Assemble the parts of the latching mechanism.
The best way I have found is to hold the button in for the brake release.
I do this by putting some string or wire over the button.
Then push button in and put hose clamp over the wire on the handle to hold the button in.
This will hold the button in so you can move the ratcheting mechanism around to then be able to insert the pin.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I managed to distort one of the brone bushes so had to put the old pin back in which was easier but of course negates the upgrade! Oh well - perhaps ill try again some time.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any plans to do another run of these DeQuincey ?
dear chris,
i might, but i need help,
if anyone takes the job of gathering the people interested, payments, addresses, and then shipping to them i can certainly make the effort of preparing the pieces and sending them to one forum member
i would say a minimum of 10 units to make this reasonable
regards

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For those who have not done this, it is an excellent upgrade. The emergency brake is now a very sturdy part of the car. Installation is 'touchy' due to the spring wanting to pop the button out. Jesus puts together JUST the RIGHT components.

Gary

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ - as i have previously bought and fitted the Paul Cain version i just need the bushings, to be able to get the optimum function from my handbrake. I've just taken a look and found these online thanks to your specification. Thanks for teh info

Simufly

Reaction score
dear chris,
if anyone takes the job of gathering the people interested, payments, addresses, and then shipping to them i can certainly make the effort of preparing the pieces and sending them to one forum member
regards
Count me in for one.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
dear chris,
regards

@Simufly @grnder95 :
not to make anyone unhappy or to make unexpected expectations, i am NOT doing this again, please read carefully the previous text:
" if anyone takes the job of gathering the people interested, payments, addresses, and then shipping to them i can certainly make the effort of preparing the pieces and sending them to one forum member
i would say a minimum of 10 units to make this reasonable"

so if anyone wants to do this for himself and others, i will be happy to assist

regards

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Jesus, maybe you could send the part numbers for all the little pieces and people could make their own? I ordered 5 and shipped out 3 and I need the other two. I'm guessing that you may have done this already but it would make things easier for you. Hope all is well in bilbao and do let us know when/if you're coming across the swamp again:)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jesus, maybe you could send the part numbers for all the little pieces and people could make their own? I ordered 5 and shipped out 3 and I need the other two. I'm guessing that you may have done this already but it would make things easier for you. Hope all is well in bilbao and do let us know when/if you're coming across the swamp again:)

dear Peter, you are always sharp, yes did it already in this same thread, i know Reading threads is laborious, but it is just going to the first page ;-)
regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
1u x hexagonal bolt M12 x 45mm - quality 8.8 or s.s.
1u x selfblocking nut M12 – 8.8 zinc plated

Needle Axial Bearing: brand SKF
2u x AXK 1730 from SKF d=17 D=30 e=2mm

Bearing Washers:
4u x AS 1730 from SKF d=17 D=30 e=1mm

Bushings:
2u x 12x14x15 material, brass

Flip washers:
2u x washer for M12 zincplated

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
excellent post Jesus ... i already have my kit from the first time that you did this ... but for everybody else you have given them what they need to source to have the perfect hand brake.
thanks for your contribution

scott

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is the reason for being an upgrade +

20191126_095728.jpg

is this a better upgrade ?
yes it is, but minimal and maybe only appreciated in the very very very long term
is it worth it ?
if you already have the original paul cain one, you are ok
if you are starting from the factory setup i would consider it

paul cain original is a M14 crude bolt, the handbrake lever is sitting and rolling against the bolt thread
dequincey upgrade is an M12 bolt inside and brass bushings on top of it, the handbrake lever sits and rolls against a flat brass surface,
so peak contact vs flat contact
probably irrelevant provided the use of handbrake you do, but hey, if you want the best of the best, and moreover when the difference in price is ridiculous...

you decide

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Did this upgrade yesterday after 34 years of dealing with my crappy handbrake and it is excellent! Once I finished, I parked the car on a steep upgrade and a steep downgrade and set the brake; no movement. Unbelievable! Feels very, very sturdy and no lateral movement to the handbrake itself.

Took me a few hours and I struggled with everything moving around until I did the following:

1. Really duct taped the button and spring down so they stayed down AND simultaneously
2. Aligned the ratcheting mechanism in place at the first tooth and pushed a bushing through the hole to basically lock the ratcheting mechanism in the right starting place.

Once that's under control, assembly is actually pretty quick since you have a bushing in the right spot; you just assemble the washers in the right order and push the bolt with the second bushing through. After you get part of the threaded bolt through and get the nut on it, as you tighten it pulls the bushings into place.

This is one of the best, and cheapest, upgrades I've done. My hat is off to Paul Cain and DeQuincey for putting it together!

Last edited: