The Future

pkinden

Reaction score
This is my second post so not sure if it’s the right place. I am new to the group having fallen in love with this car in movie Knives Out. Actually didn’t realize this was the same thought it just looked close. I’ve always had a bug for older cars but never acted on it. Guess it’s age and nostalgia working on me. I bought and still have a 61 Austin Healy which I love. I’m basically hooked on auction sites. I didn’t buy any car for attention but get a lot. I’ve found men and women taking pictures of my Healy one woman even crying because her dad had one similar. I notice it’s only older people who are drawn and always from a reflective perspective. Younger people it’s curiosity. Rarely do I meet a younger person who will truly appreciate style or function or overall design. It happens but it’s rare. What does this mean for the future? What car in 45 years that a 20 year old either owns or wishes he owned will pull at his or her heart strings? What will become of all the cars we all dig on today ? Obviously there will be the elite concourse type stuff and marketplace but what about all the rest? Will Austin Healy’s ( except for some unicorns) be revered and high valued or sought after ? Will anyone even care? Just a thought from the 60 year old buying cars from 90 year old guys. My question may sound like “because I’m getting in late in life and paying stupid money will I ever make money on these ?” It’s not. I’m no where near wealthy by any stretch but it’s not about making money or holding value. I truly don’t care I just find something I think is classy in its own way to me that I’d love to drive. I actually drive them. I have no real past or history with cars it’s all new. Heck my dad never even owned a car his entire life and for but a few times as teen never actually drove one either and he had 7 children! Maybe I answered my own question. Perhaps young people later in life will be like me and just simply fall in love… but I doubt it. I think I’m a unicorn. Last dumb rookie question I saw someone refer to their E9 as a series 1 and someone a series 2. How do you tell ? I googled the shit out of it.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you might be referring to the CSL version of the E9
As far as the more pedestrian versions; 2800 CS, 3.0 CS and 3.0 CSi they were USA import or Euro.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s a Euro version 3.0 CS so probably no variations then. Thank you.

Although not formulated as you have, what you possibly are referring to is: series 1 being before face lift and series 2 being after face lift, 1974 onwards.
Those differences are listed in the FAQ section. Take a look

Keshav

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
funny that you mention Knives Out - it was on last night and i watched it. @pkinden - is your Austin Healey a 3000 mk2 or is it a Sprite? very different, but both fun cars. the 3000 has always trailed the XKE Jag, but nicely restored versions have routinely sold north of 75k for many years - haven't followed them recently ... i imagine they have gone up. over time, i think they will continue to go up. there is a difference between the BT7 and the BN7

none of us have a crystal ball on coupe values, but 2800cs values have always trailed 3.0cs values (in mythical exact condition) for no real explicable reason. very few differences ... but in the long run i think they will close the gap. the best advice anybody can give you is to buy the very best coupe that you can afford. a car needing significant restoration will cost you significantly more than buying one in great shape. hagerty now rates the 71 2800cs in condition 3 at 65k, where the 72 3.0cs in the same condition is 81.7k. seems goofy to me but hagerty says the 74 3.0csi is less than the 72 3.0cs at 79.3. the graph shows that in the last year the 2800cs has risen more in the last 6 months than the others ... but all are rising.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to the future of these cars, there are three things these cars have going for them.

First, they are well designed. Our cars are gorgeous, and automobile manufactures can no longer make cars look like our cars. You may notice, if you look around, that our little group here includes a lot of architects. I think this is because of their training in design and in looking at how the parts of something combine to create an overall impression. Again, our cars create an elegant cohesive overall impression

Secondly, they are well engineered. They accelerate, turn, and brake well. Indeed, the driving experience is not too far from modern cars. They were also designed to be maintained. Almost everything on our cars can be disassembled and repaired. I have repaired electrical switches.

And finally, they are functional. And older guy can get in and out of a coupe. A tall guy can find a comfortable seating position. You actually can drive them on long trips with your spouse and luggage for two. These things make owning a coupe much more practical than other vintage machines.

Lots of older cars that people longed for in their youth fail these tests. Most muscle cars, for example were poorly engineered, with a rough ride, an inability to change direction and almost nothing for brakes. Many “sports” cars are difficult to get in and out of, lack luggage space, and beat you up on longer trips.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
First, they are well designed
Uhmm.. They are beautiful but deeply flawed is probably a more apt way to put it. They rusted immediately, if injected, were finicky to work on and the chassis flexed terribly. The electrical systems were also marginal at best. It's why only the deranged and deluded spent untoward hours and dollars on restoring/fettling and resurrecting them. Until the last few years restoring one was a passion project with no reasonable financial outcome should you have to sell it. I feel they are just getting to a state of equilibrium but the dwindling parts supply will always be a weak point. Doesn't really matter because when all is said and done, the experience is what matters and they drive beautifully once fettled.

Last edited:

pkinden

Reaction score
funny that you mention Knives Out - it was on last night and i watched it. @pkinden - is your Austin Healey a 3000 mk2 or is it a Sprite? very different, but both fun cars. the 3000 has always trailed the XKE Jag, but nicely restored versions have routinely sold north of 75k for many years - haven't followed them recently ... i imagine they have gone up. over time, i think they will continue to go up. there is a difference between the BT7 and the BN7

none of us have a crystal ball on coupe values, but 2800cs values have always trailed 3.0cs values (in mythical exact condition) for no real explicable reason. very few differences ... but in the long run i think they will close the gap. the best advice anybody can give you is to buy the very best coupe that you can afford. a car needing significant restoration will cost you significantly more than buying one in great shape. hagerty now rates the 71 2800cs in condition 3 at 65k, where the 72 3.0cs in the same condition is 81.7k. seems goofy to me but hagerty says the 74 3.0csi is less than the 72 3.0cs at 79.3. the graph shows that in the last year the 2800cs has risen more in the last 6 months than the others ... but all are rising.
Great stuff thank you. My Healey is a3000 BT7. Bought it off 2nd owner who had it 38 year so and did full restoration. Pretty much perfect condition couple minor leaks I’m having addressed. Thanks again. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 7EE3F277-0C5D-4031-B792-3CA97E99C63D.jpeg
    7EE3F277-0C5D-4031-B792-3CA97E99C63D.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 78

pkinden

Reaction score
As to the future of these cars, there are three things these cars have going for them.

First, they are well designed. Our cars are gorgeous, and automobile manufactures can no longer make cars look like our cars. You may notice, if you look around, that our little group here includes a lot of architects. I think this is because of their training in design and in looking at how the parts of something combine to create an overall impression. Again, our cars create an elegant cohesive overall impression

Secondly, they are well engineered. They accelerate, turn, and brake well. Indeed, the driving experience is not too far from modern cars. They were also designed to be maintained. Almost everything on our cars can be disassembled and repaired. I have repaired electrical switches.

And finally, they are functional. And older guy can get in and out of a coupe. A tall guy can find a comfortable seating position. You actually can drive them on long trips with your spouse and luggage for two. These things make owning a coupe much more practical than other vintage machines.

Lots of older cars that people longed for in their youth fail these tests. Most muscle cars, for example were poorly engineered, with a rough ride, an inability to change direction and almost nothing for brakes. Many “sports” cars are difficult to get in and out of, lack luggage space, and beat you up on longer trips.
Amen great points.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
The best thing to do is find a younster to mentor in the hobby... How would young people afford our hobby now? Now that old cars as well as parts are largely commodities, all of the cool cars are worth so much I can scarcely see how a 16 year old could afford to get in like I did at that age. I got my first car (a TR4) when I was 11 for $200 and worked on it for six years before driving it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
About seven years ago, I saw one of the neighbor kids riding around the neighborhood on a minibike. I knew his dad from serving together on the assn board, so, when I was starting the process of changing my automatic to a manual, I "hired" the kid to help (after having a discussion with his dad about risks, and whatnot). He wasn't actually a ton of help, other than muscling the transmissions around, but we had fun. A couple of years later, he turned up with a right hand drive Nissan Skyline in the driveway, and I helped him address a couple of minor issues. His mom came out while I was in their driveway and was obviously wondering why I had come over to help. I told her the story about the Tool and Die maker who lived across the street from me when I was sixteen who helped me, and told her I was a fan of "pay it forward."

Last I heard, kid joined the engineering school's car club at college, and connected with another student who's dad owned a machine shop and did some racing. So, he's off and running.

Last edited:

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Reaching out in even a small way is underrated. When I was about twenty I took a kid aside when I was doing some carpentry work and let him cut through a 2x4 until it was gone - lol. Man - I would have thought that I had rolled out a new BMX bike at christmas or something. Kids really do want to use their hands! I saw this many times while volunteering at the community bike shop years ago. I think adults forget that tasks which are so ingrained require one-on-one teaching - we need to put time aside (and also put the bloody screens in the closet) to promote/nurture hobbies for kids.