The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suspected that relying on a body shop to install and tune suspension and deal with brakes was not a great idea.....

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a well known fact that Hans put on the 3.0 , Frans put on the CS and then Wolfgang made sure they were aligned before it left the factory.
I filled in the holes and have been using the 3M tape succesfully for many years now.
You might want to rethink who installs all your stickers............

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just heard from Benny. He pick the vehicle up from Les Schwab and is trying to sort out the suspension along with the brakes instead of waiting for them. He’s super anxious to get a check. I told him the check will be coming when I get the car and the punch list is mostly done. He said the holes are wrong for the emblem. He is going to glue them Straight.

Looks like I am going to have the vehicle tomorrow. I wonder how long I am going to be driving around with the sunroof undone?

PS: Benny thinks the reason why the windows are so slow is that we replaced all of the felt around the windows. It makes sense although I find it hard to believe given that they are the updated motors they should be super fast

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just heard from Benny. He pick the vehicle up from Les Schwab and is trying to sort out the suspension along with the brakes instead of waiting for them. He’s super anxious to get a check. I told him the check will be coming when I get the car and the punch list is mostly done. He said the holes are wrong for the emblem. He is going to glue them Straight.

Looks like I am going to have the vehicle tomorrow. I wonder how long I am going to be driving around with the sunroof undone?

PS: Benny thinks the reason why the windows are so slow is that we replaced all of the felt around the windows. It makes sense although I find it hard to believe given that they are the updated motors they should be super fast

Scott,

Did you get a new rear emblem? The holes on the trunk lid obviously didn't change. Is he gluing the emblem???

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Did you get a new rear emblem? The holes on the trunk lid obviously didn't change. Is he gluing the emblem???
I got a new cs from Carl Nelson. Per Benny, the holes line up on the new cs just as he put them in. The 3.0 looks slightly crocked too. I asked him to glue them all straight.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
very strange… demount , new gasket or not , he could have at least painted it at the same time... ?????
I agree. I don’t understand it. Is clearly getting sick of the project and I get it but it is not done with the sunroof is not painted and I suspect it’s going to take a week to get that done properly. He has no plans to do it as far as I know as of yet

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t understand it. Is clearly getting sick of the project and I get it but it is not done with the sunroof is not painted and I suspect it’s going to take a week to get that done properly. He has no plans to do it as far as I know as of yet
Yikes - do not like seeing a project starting to go south. Hopefully it will come together satisfactorily.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yikes - do not like seeing a project starting to go south. Hopefully it will come together satisfactorily.
I wouldn’t say it’s going south but it’s definitely heading slightly west. I think he really needs money to make his payroll and he’s entitled to it but cars got to get finished

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i can guess… to paint the contour of the roof he must leave it open.... now he has to demount the roof , demount gasket and paint it.... reinstall it with new gasket... and get it working again…. big job i'm afraid….
he should have had it out the first time.... no ?

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You gotta end this, brother. Benny thinks the punch list items will never end, and, right or wrong, has customer fatigue. He's going to work on other projects to get cash flow, let your car sit to make payroll, and it will be harder to get him back on the job and doing good work. Pay him 50% of your estimated balance. Let him see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ask him to focus on sunroof and trim, and get the Hell out of there.

Take these off your punchlist, at least, because he doesn't want to do it and some of it you don't want him to do:
  • Anything to do with the suspension and brakes [Lots of good shops do this, it is all they do, and they do it well -- not what Benny does]
  • Paint screws for the air damn black [Can always do it later or do it yourself]
  • Windows not going up all the way and super slow - all engines were replaced before it was brought in so sure they were working [motors may be new but they're still relatively weak -- work them up and down in the groove to loosen up the new seal and hairs -- worked for me (newness wasn't the problem, but still)]
  • Confirm all electronics, e.g. horn, lights, AC, etc. working [if the lights don't even work, do you want him working on the AC, etc. Seriously, you want the body shop working on old car AC?]

• Emergency brake test [see above and relatively easy]

• Hood lever not tight [you can do this]

• Brakes not working [see above]

• Confirm the antenna goes up and down [see electronics above]

• Center grill for wood dashboard [OK, Benny should do this one]

• Any remaining parts including the paint for the upholstery [He shouldn't have a problem with this, if he can't find something under $100, let it go]

• Stickers for engine compartment - stickers. [You can do this or have it done later, let it go]

• Get the headrests moving properly up and down. [Let it go ..]

• Polish side view mirrors [Let it go]
upload_2018-7-10_21-9-46.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You gotta end this, brother. Benny thinks the punch list items will never end, and, right or wrong, has customer fatigue. He's going to work on other projects to get cash flow, let your car sit to make payroll, and it will be harder to get him back on the job and doing good work. Pay him 50% of your estimated balance. Let him see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ask him to focus on sunroof and trim, and get the Hell out of there.

Take these off your punchlist, at least, because he doesn't want to do it and some of it you don't want him to do:
  • Anything to do with the suspension and brakes [Lots of good shops do this, it is all they do, and they do it well -- not what Benny does]
  • Paint screws for the air damn black [Can always do it later or do it yourself]
  • Windows not going up all the way and super slow - all engines were replaced before it was brought in so sure they were working [motors may be new but they're still relatively weak -- work them up and down in the groove to loosen up the new seal and hairs -- worked for me (newness wasn't the problem, but still)]
  • Confirm all electronics, e.g. horn, lights, AC, etc. working [if the lights don't even work, do you want him working on the AC, etc. Seriously, you want the body shop working on old car AC?]

• Emergency brake test [see above and relatively easy]

• Hood lever not tight [you can do this]

• Brakes not working [see above]

• Confirm the antenna goes up and down [see electronics above]

• Center grill for wood dashboard [OK, Benny should do this one]

• Any remaining parts including the paint for the upholstery [He shouldn't have a problem with this, if he can't find something under $100, let it go]

• Stickers for engine compartment - stickers. [You can do this or have it done later, let it go]

• Get the headrests moving properly up and down. [Let it go ..]

• Polish side view mirrors [Let it go]
View attachment 48938

Dude, while I appreciate the help, Benny and I are doing just fine. If he asks to let any of above go, I will do so, but they have been on a list for him for awhile, so they will need to get done one way or another. Later is fine, and I am not insisting on doing all this now, but just the important stuff with a date to do other stuff. Benny INSISTED on doing the brakes and suspension. He brought car back from Schwab to finish up on this stuff, and bring back to Schwab. I have an excellent working relationship with Benny, and it will continue as such. Thanks for the information on the window. Confirming electronics, just means make sure they are connected as they were before, not do any work.

We are basically a difference between Benny asking me to come down today to drop of another check or him just doing as much of the list as he can with a date or excuse on the other things and me coming by on Thursday and picking up the car happy and him paid, with understanding of what remains to be done and by when. This is simple really, but aggravating to all involved at this stage.

Chill for a day or so. I am.

PS: Re: "Pay him 50% of your estimated balance. Let him see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ask him to focus on sunroof and trim, and get the Hell out of there." I was willing to pay more than 50% of balance. I just wasn't willing to run down there today to deliver a partial check when the car will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow is all, with most important stuff addressed and agreement on the balance.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is good to hear, because this saga is better than reality TV car shows. I was just yelling at the TV a bit. I should look away, but I can't. After all this, we're invested and would be crushed if you two went the way of Sr. & Jr. on the biker show or, God forbid, the tall & short Brits.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, specifically what do you think is an appropriate hold back just for painting the sunroof, along with fixing the few minor but very noticeable imperfections, should be and how long do you think it should take to fix that.

I am inclined to waive most of the other stuff but hope they can address those things easily and readily, but am very concerned about the sunroof and imperfections. BTW, the few imperfections I am referring to are VERY noticeable to the eye from 6' feet away and am confident/hopeful Benny will want to take care of those things. I am concerned however that if I had to pay someone to fix those things it would cost a great deal of money and take lots of time.

Let me know.

Lastly, any thoughts on how to easily replace main key short of driving to Boise to BMW dealer. Not sure how that was lost, or if located yet.

I am hopeful that tomorrow I will be driving my car. Apparently, Benny had to do some work to accommodate the new suspension stuff. Not sure how he was able to drive it back and forth to Les Schwab without brakes and with the suspension issues when I was told it would be unsafe and unwise and had to pay to tow it there. It's only about 1.5 miles away.

Scott, nearing the end....

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today's Update:
Just called Schwab Tires for update. Super nice and helpful guy. Basically, he said:
  • apologized for delay, but explained that when he got the car on Monday, lots of "extra" parts were laying around in the trunk, with no explanation and crossed brake lines. He said typically body shops can easily bolt everything back together and get them to do only final tuning, etc. He wasn't sure why this wasn't done in this case. [What is your experience with restoration shops? when i ordered the new stuff from carl nelson, gary said it would be simple to install since he had to take things apart anyway.]
  • although car dropped off early this am, he never got to touch it since he has been behind since the day prior and only wants his best guys to work on it.
  • promised to get to it tomorrow as car 2 in line. He wants me to stop down there at about 10am to see if simple stuff to fix or something more complicated that requires more time. I told him to make sure I am very safe and it is tuned correctly secondly but also important. I told him not to rush.
  • Best case scenerio: he finishes at noonish. Benny picks it up and does a final quick polish, I run down and we agree on holdback per above with date certain to complete -i don't want to be running around with unpainted roof long. Wish me luck!
  • Worst case: I don't even want to go there.....
tune in tomorrow for an update: will benny get it done, not, murder scott or .... ?

Scott

PS: should i be concerned about how things got put back together, and should/can i easily check things like the plumbing in roof to rockers, etc.? This is a serious question.

PPS: Sent this to Gary: I just talked to Rock at Schwab. Rock didn’t get a chance to look at it today at all. He was behind from Monday’s time with it. I promises to look as 2d vehicle tomorrow, hopefully by around 9ish am. He said if you fixed the stuff you said, then it should be relatively simple, but if not, then much longer. I asked him to ensure everything was super safe and properly aligned, etc. I will follow up with him tomorrow am and get back to you once I know more. Best case scenario, he finishes before noon, and you can bring it over to your shop to do any final things. I will come by thereafter when you tell me and I will bring a check, and we can agree on completion date for remaining stuff, e.g. sunroof and paint imperfections pointed out, and holdback amount. Thanks much. Talk soon. We are near the end. Don’t get sick of me just yet… Scott

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
what junk is in the trunk?

Crossed brake lines? How is that even possible?

Is this Les Schwab guy a restoration expert?
NO, Les Schwab guy is a suspension/brake guy i think, not a restore guy. i have no idea re brakes. i know this. early in process gary told me that the brakes on rear wheels were not working due to crimp or issue with brake line. he said he fixed that for me. we talked about how i didn't know about this when driving since mostly front brakes are used. i thanked him. gary wasn't sure which rotor went where at one point. at this point i just want it done and safe, but it would be interesting to understand what is common.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i think the only items that can be "crossed" are the flexibles in front ? and even then… it should be working , pressure on upper or lower front pistons with the rears… ?
Or he made new lines in the rear ? and fixed it wrong at the pressure regulator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.