Tesla Everwhere

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was a beautiful day yesteday so I decided to go for a ride. I stoped at a signal and was was taking the joy of a manual transmistion and a internal combustion engine. The sweet smell of my leather interior mixed with the faint smell of gas. Since I was stoped at the signal my mind drifted to the sad day when this would no longer be. As I looked around two Tesla were ahead of me, two next to me and 3 behind me. Was a bit of a sureal situation. Were the Cyber Tessla out to get me?

Could have been worse...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can get a high mileage Tesla, but you are going to be familiar with your service facility and shell out some dough.
Or you could buy a Crown Vic for $3500 and get as far.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG....Now I am going to have nightmares. I am already parinoid about someone re-ending me. No joke I just upped my insurance
Your fears are real
Dec 13, 2023
DETROIT (AP) — Tesla is recalling nearly all vehicles sold in the U.S., more than 2 million, to update software and fix a defective system that’s supposed to ensure drivers are paying attention when using Autopilot.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can get a high mileage Tesla, but you are going to be familiar with your service facility and shell out some dough.
Or you could buy a Crown Vic for $3500 and get as far.
Amazing. I had no idea it was possible to keep one of these going for that many miles. (He drove that thing more than 10,000 miles a month every month for nine years!).

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Your fears are real
Dec 13, 2023
DETROIT (AP) — Tesla is recalling nearly all vehicles sold in the U.S., more than 2 million, to update software and fix a defective system that’s supposed to ensure drivers are paying attention when using Autopilot.

I'm not sure why Tesla was singled out, but every car maker has one of these driver assist cruise control systems and the safeguards can all be defeated. Car and Driver...Driver-assistance systems have become commonplace, and our testing found none of them can sniff out drivers aggressively misusing them.

It really isn't a "recall" as we think of one. 2,000,000 Teslas aren't going to show up at a Tesla shop for the fix. They will get a software update over the air...just like your iPhone gets periodically.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, from my recent 2 week trip to CA, I found Tesla's to be ubiquitous in Orange county, but not so much in Silicon Valley.
I found OC Tesla drivers to be the least considerate vs other marques. They drove as if green-status entitled them to disregard rules and other inferior drivers (never a turn signal, running red lights, changing lanes into ridiculously small gaps, 20mph rolling stops at stop signs, parking over 2 spaces at the mall, etc.). The SiO2 area was a dramatic contrast, where I found the vast majority of drivers observant, considerate, and generally not aggressive. Upon return to Boston, I was immediately reminded that we still take the prize on aggressive and selfish driving style.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are like cockroaches in Silicon Valley. Everywhere, scurrying haphazardly to get back under the leaky sink to charge up again.

Can't comment on the OC, but good that your driving experience was moderate in the SV area. SV locals may be more likely to regard the use of these appliances to signify the worst sort of driving hygiene practices that you mention, - for a very large number of those driving them. They have become virtue-signaling parodies of themselves as they green-wash their predictably terrible, self-entitled driving habits.

Not every owner obviously, but it's become so uniform for so many of them, that some regard that subset like an impaired class of hazards to be avoided whenever possible. Bad even by Boston standards.

Of course, there was a time when there was another marque that seemed to be suddenly everywhere and had some association with aggressively bad driving. I can't remember which one it was though.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
No fault of the autos themselves of any stripe, just attitude and aptitude in the modern example, - as in days gone by. These things work themselves out over time. Be careful out there.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
FC54524F-90B7-4D84-945D-EA7F00C45CC0.jpeg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ever research the life of Hebert Quandt, early founder and owner of BMW? Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Quandt#:~:text=During the war Herbert Quandt,staying alive approximately 6 months. If you only buy products from companies headed by people you admire, you may find yourself with few possessions.
@Arde , @jmackro, I know about the Nazi past of BMW, the slave labor, etc, but those people are dead now. As someone else pointed out, Henry Ford was a raging anti-Semite, but he's dead too. Elon is very much alive, and won't shut up. He should stick to building cars and rockets. He's good at it. As much as people knock Tesla, the product is remarkable. It's the only profitable electric car in the world. Are electric cars for everyone? Of course not. But they are really fun to drive and might make a tiny dent in global CO2 emissions, although it might be too little, too late.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree Scott, on one hand it was a long time ago, on the other hand Faulkner's "The past is not dead..." wisdom is probably the truest short sentence I know. BTW, the Quandt family is not dead:

As for Elon you are probably right, I just never listen or read him. Why do that? He is not running for office so I do not really need to follow his thoughts.

Agree on the disruptive nature of what Tesla did. I am a luddite so I may never own one, plus I hate the subscription revenue model, but I am surrounded by Teslas in CA :).