temperature gauge

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

I am considering your comments on the lack of precission of the water-temperature gauge

so I am considering that this critical item should be solved in a more efficient and precise way

Does anyone have experience in installing a more accurate water-temperature checking system ?

I am thinking in a digital thermometer (something that is not merely a blue or red area gauge)

If you remember here a thread about this type of installation I would be grateful to that.

with "system" I mean, precise temperature sender, cables and type of conexion needed, clock and its assembly and conexion (I do not intend to substitute the actual clock in the dash), but to have an alternative meassurement (digital would be better) and store it maybe inside the glovebox for an eventual check

thank you so much for your help:-D

regards

MMercury

Reaction score
hi

I am considering your comments on the lack of precision of the water-temperature gauge. So I am considering that this critical item should be solved in a more efficient and precise way

Does anyone have experience in installing a more accurate water-temperature checking system ?

I am thinking in a digital thermometer (something that is not merely a blue or red area gauge) If you remember here a thread about this type of installation I would be grateful to that.

with "system" I mean, precise temperature sender, cables and type of [connection] needed, clock and its assembly and [connection] (I do not intend to substitute the actual clock in the dash), but to have an alternative measurement (digital would be better) and store it maybe inside the glovebox for an eventual check

thank you so much for your help:-D
regards

A few thoughts. I think most would agree that the problem is with the gauge in the dash and not the sensor. Look to the side of the gauge and you should notice some actual markings in centigrade.

I suspect your current temperature sensor (PN: 62110788115) is located at/on the thermostat housing. You could possibly use the original sensor with a different gauge. Alternatively, you might find a thermostat housing from a newer model that has several sensor ports and use one of those additional ports to install your own sensor. Another possibility might be to use one of the ports available on the intake manifolds where they run coolant.

Most after-market gauges provide instructions for sensor placement. So do some thermostatically controlled electric fans. The dilemma for you may be what part of the cooling system you want to monitor. I expect the thermostat housing is the optimum spot, but naturally, sensors could be stuck just about anywhere in or even next to any part of the cooling system.

hope this helps.

24.png
0.png
39.png

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

thanks for answering

yes, I do agree on your comments, I think the problem is in the gauge !

I am trying to find a digital display clock that can read the temp value in ºC

I have found some kits including sensor and clock, but they were similar to original bmw with the only incorporation of a nummerical scale (that will not be very accurate)

I will inisist in my search,

best regards

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not sure temperature accuracy is what I need, I am more about quickly noticing a change in temperature, either by seeing the needle move (when you lose coolant or something like that) or noticing that the needle is not in its usual place. For those purposes analog displays may be better than digital.

MMercury

Reaction score
I am not sure temperature accuracy is what I need, I am more about quickly noticing a change in temperature, either by seeing the needle move (when you lose coolant or something like that) or noticing that the needle is not in its usual place. For those purposes analog displays may be better than digital.

Many cars with coolant recovery tanks have a simple float operated switch that senses coolant loss or low coolant level. This is akin to the brake warning light which involves detecting low brake fluid level in the reservoir.

Could be that there is an available low coolant level assembly available on a newer BMW model, that might be adaptable to E9's.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes you both are right about the request of some warning of immediate dissaster on-going

for that some key points might be checked with appropriate senders and consequent signal or warnings

in my case the digital temperature meassure is a complement to the analogic one until my car and me become "more than friends"

but yes, you are making me think about some checking of critical points, levels, or values

I will think about it, If I find solutions I will let you know

thanks

regards