Sway-bar experience

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I could use some advice regarding the installation of a rear sway bar; I purchased new "performance" sway bars from La Jolla and the rear has 3 holes to choose from. I bolted up the links to the inner most hole which gave me a straight drop from the rear swing arm(s) brackets. does this sound correct- it looks correct but the car did not come with a sway bar so I have nothing to reference.

Any additional info is much appreciated.

PS, rear installation is a snap, the front replacement is a little bit of a pain.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sway Bar

I'm using the centre hole but to be honest I haven't tried the other positions. I believe the instruction sheets indicated which holes would produce oversteer/understeer but they shut down the local track so testing is at risk of getting the Mounties upset so no experience here with the alternatives. Maybe someone else can comment.

Doug

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks d

I'll also do my best to gather info and post it. I have limited access to a track near by so it may be interesting to experiment. Right now to hot in Austin for man or reptile.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1 for what Sven says...
Peter, you may want to list your suspension set-up - for example, staggered wheels? But at best, people can tell you what they think works on their cars, but it may not apply to yours. Keeping in mind that what might help settle one car, sends a seemingly similar car plowing off in the corners. Good luck.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I'll experiment

There is a great track in Kyle TX, about 30 minutes west of Austin and I think I will try to get up there when it cools down and just run her around. I'll try to document everything in the hope that it will help others. For my daily drives I'll just change the settings as I have time and try to find the best combination (for me). I'll post some pictures and specs tomorrow and hopefully the forum can suggest a starting point and maybe a progression of things to try. I had the pleasure of having SFDon visit and he certainly is keeping me busy correcting all the little things that this novice here put on bass-ackwards.

Thanks all!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK Sven

I re- read the thread....

I will start off with the forward most hole as you said it improved the understeer, which I noticed I had with no rear bar. I have 16 inch Alpina "knock offs", but I think they are round. Tires are 205/45 Bridgestone's- nothing special and the rest of the set up is identical to yours (parts wise). I don't have the bright paint work on my bars but I think we have some gang from the "hood" who use those colors and I wouldn't want to get shot so it's just as well :)

Thanks,