Sunroof seal joints

pmansson

Reaction score
I have new felt seals (which are far too long and need to be trimmed, once I know where to cut them....).
The front one mounts on the body, but how far back on the sides does it go?
There is an obvious? point about 2" forward of the rear side, where the shape of the roof changes noticeably.

Is it a square cut, or a fold down as I seem to have read somewhere?

Same question with the rear seal, that goes on the sunroof panel, which is out of the car now. Cut at right angle or tucked down....?

I have read most of the threads and the ones with pictures from a red 2002 installation, but am still not clear about how to do it.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The 2" point you describe sounds about right. I cut the ends of the seals square. You do not want to cut them too short. They should just lightly press together when the roof is closed.

Here is a picture of the rear seal.

Attachments

• Sunroof Seal.jpg
    Sunroof Seal.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 104

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks Sven,
are these the original seals?
I would have imagined the (rear)felt seal to go just a bit further forward, and the cut at a point where the panel is completely flat, but I may be wrong on this...?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No, they are not the original seals. I installed them a few years ago. I suppose you could carry the rear seal a bit farther forward - but not too much. Consider the operation of the roof panel: it slides forward at a angle (the rear portion lower) until until the leading edge is pressed against the forward roof edge seal and then the rear part of the panel moves upwards into its closed position. Visualizing this might help you decide where to make the cut.

good luck,