stripping paint

readie

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for guidance as to how to remove as much paint as possible from my csl.

I had intended to take it to a bodyshop garage for them to take off all the trim, then get it picked up by a 'dipping comany' here in the uk called surface process.

however, I have just come back from the birmingham classic car show and I spoke to 4 or 5 restorers who have advised against chemical dipping on the grounds of potential future 'seepage' from joints

as a result I am now reconsidering.

I used a drill sander to strip my e28 and made a complete pigs ear of it by distorting the metal as it got to hot so I do not want to make that mistake again.

I am now considering using a combination of dry scraping using a razor scraper, together with paint stripper (any reason why normal nitromors / b&q / wickes type household stripper cannot be used ?) and sanding using a different sanding tool.

Any comments ?

frogisland

Reaction score
I have had my e9 shell dipped at SPL, as have a few others on here. I would say that the bleeding will be minimal - mine is not in paint, currently having metalwork completed - and some has appeared but not alot. It is likely to be reduced further if you have your car ecoated. I also experienced a couple of seams where the corrosion was that tight the fluid did not penetrate fully and some corrosion remained, but again, this was minimal. On balance, the process achieved what i wanted it to having removed virtually all the corrosion that could and could not be seen. Whatever stripping technique you use there will be a negative aspect to it.

Re stripping paint, on my e30 race car i use Polycarbide pads on my grinder, they strip paint very quickly and leave a good surface. I did most of this engine bay in a few hours - it does make alot of smoke though!

CIMG2068.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plastic Blasting has no negative consequences I know of. Seems to me acid dipping could prevent rust from growing inside the hidden sections .

cal csl

Reaction score
Just be careful with the acid dipping that to make sure you blow out with air all the cavities etc as you dont want the acid or water they use to neutralize it to remian and eat through the metal.
A lot of prestige body workers tend to do it all with automotive paint stripper which they cover with kitchen cling wrap. You can then use a 3m strip and clean disc on a grinder to finish it off.